Trump says he will raise global tariff rate from 10% to 15%
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum all...
Deaths linked to nationwide protests in Iran have risen to more than 500, according to a U.S.-based rights group HRANA, as Tehran warned it would retaliate against U.S. military targets if Washington intervenes.
HRANA said it had verified the deaths of 490 protesters and 48 security personnel during two weeks of unrest, citing activists inside and outside Iran. More than 10,600 people have been arrested. Iranian authorities have not released an official toll, and the figures could not be independently confirmed.
The protests began on 28 December over rising prices and quickly turned into broader demonstrations against Iran’s clerical leadership, the biggest since 2022.
President Donald Trump has repeatedly warned of possible U.S. action if force is used against protesters. The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump is due to be briefed this week on options that include military strikes, cyber operations, tougher sanctions and online support for opposition groups.
Iran’s parliament speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf cautioned Washington against what he called a ‘miscalculation’, saying any attack on Iran would make U.S. bases, ships and Israel legitimate targets.
Israel, which fought a 12-day war with Iran last year alongside limited U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear sites, has raised its alert level. Israeli officials say they view the protests as an internal Iranian issue but are monitoring developments closely and are ready to respond if needed.
President Masoud Pezeshkian said Iran’s enemies were behind the unrest, accusing them of bringing in ‘terrorists’ who attacked mosques, banks and public property. He urged families to keep young people away from violence, while saying the government was ready to listen to public grievances and address economic problems.
Opposition figures abroad have urged Iranians to keep protesting. Reza Pahlavi, the exiled son of Iran’s last shah, praised what he called the courage of protesters, while Maryam Rajavi of the National Council of Resistance of Iran said demonstrators were reshaping the country’s political landscape.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
India and Brazil signed a mining and minerals cooperation pact on Saturday (21 February), as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the two countries aim to increase bilateral trade to more than $20 billion within five years.
The Russian Defence Ministry claimed on Saturday (21 February) that its forces had captured another settlement in eastern Ukraine.
The U.S. military carried out a strike on Friday (20 February) against a vessel allegedly involved in narcotrafficking in the Eastern Pacific, according to U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment