Government weighs removing Andrew from royal succession line
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arre...
Tens of thousands of Iranians have taken to the streets in Tehran and across at least 28 cities in a wave of anti-government demonstrations, now entering their twelfth day.
The protests, sparked by a worsening economic crisis and falling living standards, have been marked by large crowds, clashes with security forces, and a nationwide internet blackout.
Protesters in northern provinces such as Mazandaran, Golestan, Ardabil and Baloch regions have staged large rallies, including in cities that have previously seen little unrest.
Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei, vowed on Friday (9 January) that the Islamic Republic would not yield to ongoing protests and would resist any influence from foreign powers, in remarks broadcast on state television.
“Everyone should know that the Islamic Republic will not retreat,” he said, adding that the government “will not tolerate serving foreigners.”
Khamenei further warned that anyone perceived to be working for external forces would face rejection by both the Iranian people and the state, signalling a hardline stance as
The son of Iran’s late Shah, Reza Pahlavi, had called for demonstrations on Thursday (8 January), calling for coordinated nationwide action. Authorities responded by cutting internet and telephone access, limiting public communication amid escalating unrest.
Latest reports suggest, security forces of Iran’s Islamic regime have been forced to retreat in Mashhad, the country’s second-largest city. They are now confined to guarding a handful of government buildings, unable to stop protesters from setting police vehicles ablaze in the city centre.
At least 45 people, including eight children, have reportedly been killed and more than 2,000 detained since protests began on 28 December. Human rights groups say state forces have used live ammunition and carried out mass arrests, though numbers have not been independently verified.
In response to the unrest, U.S. President Donald Trump reiterated his threat to strike Iran if government forces kill protesters.
“I have let them know that if they start killing people … we’re going to hit them very hard,” he said, warning that Iran would face severe consequences for targeting civilians.
While protests initially centred on Tehran and other major cities, they have now spread to provinces inhabited by Kurds and Baloch following calls from local political parties.
Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi visited Lebanon to meet officials, political and religious leaders, and economic representatives on Thursday (8 January), amid growing international attention.
The protests highlight widespread economic frustration, with rising prices, currency devaluation, and inflation driving public anger. Analysts say the demonstrations underscore deep crises in governance, social trust, and economic stability, though experts caution that without a clear political alternative, change is unlikely.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflects sustained growth, structural reforms and the country’s rising role as a regional economic hub.
The Armenian Cabinet has approved a military-technical cooperation agreement (MTC) with Poland, which will be forwarded to parliament for ratification following its signing, according to Armenian media.
Iran's foreign minister is expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days following this week's nuclear talks with the United States. Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump said he is considering limited military strikes.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
Türkiye is prepared to contribute troops to a proposed international stabilisation force for Gaza, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Thursday.
Iran has warned it will respond “decisively” if subjected to military aggression, saying U.S. President Donald Trump’s rhetoric signals “a real risk of military aggression”.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment