Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Britain has deployed the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Dragon to the eastern Mediterranean to strengthen protection for its military assets in the Middle East after a drone strike targeted a key UK air base in Cyprus earlier this month.
Britain has deployed the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Dragon to the eastern Mediterranean to strengthen protection for its military assets in the Middle East after a drone strike targeted a key UK air base in Cyprus earlier this month.
The Royal Navy warship departed Portsmouth on Tuesday afternoon and is expected to reach the eastern Mediterranean within about a week. Once in position, it will become the United Kingdom’s only naval vessel currently operating in the region.
The deployment follows heightened tensions after a drone strike on RAF Akrotiri, Britain’s main military air base in Cyprus. Officials said the attack involved an Iranian-made drone and caused minimal damage to a hangar at the base.
According to the UK Ministry of Defence, the decision to send HMS Dragon was made about a week ago, although preparations for the deployment required several days. The timeline has prompted some scrutiny of Britain’s military readiness, though the government has defended its response.
Officials say other defensive assets had already been positioned in the region, including radar systems, air-defence capabilities and F-35 Lightning II aircraft.
HMS Dragon is a Type 45 air-defence destroyer equipped with the Sea Viper missile system and advanced radar technology designed to track and intercept airborne threats such as drones and missiles.
The move also comes shortly after the government placed the naval support ship RFA Lyme Bay on heightened readiness. The vessel could be used to help evacuate British nationals from the Middle East if the regional situation deteriorates.
British officials say the deployment forms part of broader cooperation with the U.S. Department of Defense, as tensions continue following strikes by the U.S. and Israel on Iranian targets.
Speaking in the House of Commons, Defence Secretary John Healey said intelligence suggested the drone that struck RAF Akrotiri may have been launched from Lebanon or Iraq.
Earlier, Prime Minister Keir Starmer confirmed he had authorised what he described as defensive U.S. military action against Iranian missile sites from UK bases, amid rising tensions involving Iran in the region.
The deployment of HMS Dragon is intended to reinforce air and missile defence around British installations and personnel as the security situation in the Middle East remains volatile.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment