live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
U.S. President Donald Trump says he plans to speak with billionaire Elon Musk about restoring internet access in Iran, where authorities have imposed a near-total blackout amid nationwide anti-government protests.
Speaking to reporters on Sunday (11 January), Trump said Musk’s satellite internet company Starlink could help Iranians regain access to information after services were shut down four days ago.
"He's very good at that kind of thing, he's got a very good company," Trump told reporters in response to a question about whether he would engage with Musk's SpaceX company, which offers a satellite internet service called Starlink that has been used in Iran.
The blackout has severely limited the flow of news from the country during the most serious unrest since 2022.
The protests began in late December over soaring prices but have since turned into broader demonstrations against Iran’s clerical leadership.
Rights groups estimate that hundreds of people have been killed and thousands arrested, though Iranian authorities have not released official figures.
Elon Musk has previously supported providing Starlink access to Iranians during periods of unrest. The service was used during protests in 2022, when the Biden administration worked with Musk to enable satellite internet after the death of Mahsa Amini in police custody sparked nationwide demonstrations.
Starlink has also been deployed in other conflict zones, including Ukraine, where its use has at times been controversial.
Trump and Musk have had a fluctuating relationship in recent years, but have appeared closer again in recent months. U.S. defense secretary Pete Hegseth is due to visit a SpaceX facility this week, underscoring renewed engagement between the company and the Trump administration.
The situation in Iran remains tense as protests continue and internet restrictions stay in place, drawing growing international attention.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment