live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Flights across Greece were halted for hours on Sunday after a collapse of radio frequencies crippled air traffic communication, stranding thousands of travellers during one of the busiest holiday weekends.
Air travel across Greece was thrown into disruption on Sunday after a widespread failure of radio frequencies left air traffic controllers unable to communicate with aircraft, forcing airport operations into near standstill conditions.
The outage began early in the day and rapidly escalated, affecting dozens of flights nationwide. While some overflights across Greek and regional airspace continued, restrictions were imposed on airport departures and arrivals, according to the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority.
By Sunday afternoon, limited services were gradually restored after pilots and controllers switched to backup frequencies to maintain basic communication. Authorities said flight movements were cautiously increased, with up to 45 departures per hour leaving Greek airports by late afternoon.
Air traffic controllers said the cause of the blackout remained unclear. Panagiotis Psarros, head of the Association of Greek Air Traffic Controllers, told state broadcaster ERT that all main communication frequencies were suddenly lost, leaving controllers unable to contact aircraft in the sky.
The breakdown affected all ground frequencies and some used by the Athens Approach unit, which manages aircraft arriving at and departing from Eleftherios Venizelos Airport. The unit is responsible for radar monitoring, aircraft separation, and issuing instructions on speed and altitude.
The controllers’ association described the scale of the incident as unprecedented and unacceptable for a modern air traffic control system, stressing that safety was maintained only through emergency measures.
Psarros said the failure appeared linked to a collapse of central radio frequency systems at the Athens and Macedonia area control centres, which oversee the Athens Flight Information Region, a vast stretch of airspace under Greek control. He added that ageing equipment had been repeatedly flagged as a concern in the past.
Greek authorities said investigations were continuing to determine the cause of the blackout, which disrupted travel plans for thousands at the peak of the holiday season.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment