Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
The death toll from Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades has risen to 161, after forensic analysis confirmed one more victim among the charred remains at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po, more than three weeks after the blaze began, authorities said on Saturday.
Hong Kong police confirmed that DNA tests identified another person in a body previously thought to belong to a couple, raising the total number of confirmed deaths from the fire to 161, Commissioner of Police Joe Chow Yat-ming said during a passing-out parade at the Hong Kong Police College.
Chow cautioned that ongoing forensic testing may reveal additional victims, adding that authorities cannot rule out further increases in the death toll. He also noted that all six previously missing residents have now been accounted for, with five people confirmed dead in the fire itself and one fatality dating back to 2023.
Police had earlier collected DNA samples from roughly 100 households within the affected complex to aid in the identification of victims.
The Wang Fuk Court fire, which began in Tai Po, engulfed seven residential blocks containing more than 1,900 apartments over a 43-hour period, making it the most destructive residential fire in Hong Kong in decades. Nearly 5,000 residents were left homeless.
All eight buildings in the complex were undergoing renovation at the time of the blaze, with bamboo scaffolding and mesh nets covering the exteriors and polystyrene foam boards used on windows, which investigators believe may have contributed to the rapid spread of flames.
In response to the disaster, Hong Kong authorities announced a two-year annual rental subsidy of HK$150,000 (US$19,278) for displaced flat owners. Both owners and tenants are also receiving a one-off relocation subsidy of HK$50,000 to help cover immediate costs.
The fire at Wang Fuk Court has prompted renewed calls for stricter safety regulations in residential buildings, particularly during renovation projects, as investigators continue to determine the exact cause of the blaze.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it would leave Kyiv without a meaningful voice in the bloc.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment