Azerbaijan launches first-ever WUF13 NGO Forum in Baku
The first-ever “WUF13 NGO Forum” in the history of the World Urban Forum (WUF) was held on 19 May 2026 at Azerbaijan’s initiative...
Pakistan and Afghanistan exchanged heavy fire along their shared border late on Friday, a reminder of how sensitive the frontier remains despite ongoing diplomatic efforts.
Officials on both sides confirmed the incident and said there were no immediate reports of casualties, though the timing underscored the fragile mood following talks earlier in the week.
Afghan Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the clash began in the Spin Boldak district of Kandahar province. Pakistani officials offered a different account, saying Afghan forces opened fire near the Chaman crossing, a busy route that has experienced periodic tension. A statement from Islamabad said Pakistan remained fully alert and focused on ensuring the safety of its citizens and the protection of its territory, reflecting a careful approach as discussions continue.
The exchange came just two days after peace talks in Saudi Arabia ended without a breakthrough. These meetings, part of a wider effort hosted by Qatar, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia, aim to stabilise the border following deadly clashes in October. Those earlier confrontations were the worst since the Taliban’s return to power in 2021 and prompted renewed international attempts to calm the situation.
In the broader dispute, Pakistan has raised concerns over cross-border militancy and incidents it links to individuals operating from Afghan territory. Kabul rejects these claims and says responsibility for security inside Pakistan lies with Pakistani authorities. Both sides maintain their positions, but neither has walked away from dialogue, suggesting that continued engagement still holds value for regional stability.
The latest exchange highlights how quickly tensions can rise even as diplomatic channels remain open. With negotiations set to continue, both governments now face the task of preventing isolated incidents from derailing a process that remains fragile but necessary.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
European Union negotiators are expected to agree on Tuesday (19 May) on legislation removing import duties on U.S. industrial goods, in a move aimed at implementing last year’s trade agreement with the United States and avoiding higher tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment