U.S. says ‘progress made’ in Iran talks, as Ukraine negotiations continue in Geneva
The United States and Iran reported measured progress after a new round of indirect talks in Geneva aimed at resolving the dispute over Tehran’s nuc...
The Trump administration announced on Tuesday that it is halting all immigration applications, including those for green cards and U.S. citizenship, submitted by people from 19 non-European countries, citing national security and public safety concerns.
The suspension applies to individuals from nations that were already subject to a partial travel ban introduced in June, tightening restrictions on immigration, a central pillar of President Donald Trump’s political agenda. Afghanistan and Somalia are among the affected countries.
According to the official memorandum setting out the policy, the move follows an attack on U.S. National Guard members in Washington last week, in which an Afghan national was arrested as a suspect. One guard member was killed and another critically injured in the shooting.
President Trump has recently intensified his rhetoric against Somalis, calling them “garbage” and declaring, “we don’t want them in our country.”
Since his return to office in January, Trump has made immigration enforcement a key priority, deploying federal agents to major U.S. cities and blocking asylum seekers at the U.S.–Mexico border. While his administration has frequently showcased its deportation drive, it had until now placed less emphasis on reshaping the legal immigration system.
The latest series of restrictions, introduced after the National Guard attack (26 November), signals a renewed focus on legal immigration, framed around safeguarding national security and blaming former President Joe Biden for his earlier immigration policies.
The memorandum lists Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, the Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen among the countries facing the toughest measures, including a near-total suspension on entry with limited exceptions.
Others on the list of 19 countries, previously facing partial restrictions- include Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan, and Venezuela.
Under the new directive, all pending applications from affected nationals are placed on hold, and applicants must undergo an additional vetting process, which may involve interviews or re-interviews to reassess any potential national security or public safety risks.
The memorandum also references several recent crimes allegedly involving immigrants, including the National Guard attack.
Sharvari Dalal-Dheini, senior director of government relations at the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said the group had received reports of cancelled naturalisation ceremonies, citizenship interviews, and adjustment-of-status appointments for individuals from countries named in the ban.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday (16 February), state-linked media reported. The drill took place a day before renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Geneva.
The 2026 Munich Security Conference (MSC) unfolded over three intense days in Munich, confronting a defining question of our era: has the post-Second World War international order collapsed - and if so, what will replace it?
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
The United States and Iran reported measured progress after a new round of indirect talks in Geneva aimed at resolving the dispute over Tehran’s nuclear programme, while separate negotiations on Russia’s war in Ukraine focused on practical next steps.
An unidentified man was taken into custody on Tuesday (17 February) after running towards the U.S. Capitol carrying a loaded shotgun and wearing tactical gear, according to Capitol Police Chief Michael Sullivan.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
France celebrated Olympic gold in the men’s biathlon relay in Anterselva on Tuesday (17 February), following a thrilling race marked by an electric atmosphere at the stadium.
Day 11 of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics delivered decisive performances, medal celebrations and emotional tributes as the Games moved deeper into their final stages.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment