Russia conducts nuclear forces drill amid tensions with West over Ukraine
Russia delivered nuclear munitions to field storage facilities in Belarus as part of major nuclear drills, the Russia...
Two weeks after U.S. President Donald Trump and South Korea's Lee Jae Myung met and announced they had resolved months of negotiations over tariffs and security issues, the two sides have yet to release any formal agreement.
South Korean officials suggest the delay is primarily due to ongoing discussions about their request for Washington's approval to build a nuclear-powered submarine, which Lee raised publicly during his meeting with Trump at an Asia-Pacific forum in South Korea last month.
Following the meeting, officials had indicated they would soon release a factsheet detailing an agreement on security issues, including the submarine, as well as a trade deal first outlined at the initial Trump-Lee summit in July. Under that agreement, South Korea would invest hundreds of billions of dollars in U.S. projects in exchange for lower tariffs.
"Since the issue of building a nuclear-powered submarine has been raised, each of the U.S. departments seems to need some time to adjust their views," South Korea’s Defence Minister Ahn said in an interview with local broadcaster KBS on Sunday.
Washington has approved Seoul's use of nuclear fuel for the submarine, but the factsheet is taking longer to finalise as U.S. departments are still providing feedback, and the wording is undergoing adjustments, according to a senior South Korean presidential official on Friday.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The South Korean won weakened by as much as 0.7% on Tuesday, reaching its lowest point in seven months at 1,467.5 per dollar, driven by concerns over the delayed factsheet. Final stages
Lee's stance on building the submarine in South Korea appears to be at odds with Trump's recent remarks on social media, in which he said the submarine had been approved but would be built at a U.S. shipyard. Analysts have raised questions about the U.S.'s willingness to transfer sensitive technology.
The submarine negotiations are taking place alongside an agreement on trade. Disagreements over the structure of the investment fund had prevented any joint statements after earlier meetings between Lee and Trump.
"When it comes to tariffs, the draft can be seen as finalised and will be made public when the joint factsheet is ready for release," a trade ministry official said.
Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan told a parliamentary hearing on Tuesday that negotiations over the joint factsheet were in their final stages, although he did not provide any details on when it would be announced.
South Korean carmaker Hyundai Motor, which saw its battery facility in Georgia raided by immigration authorities in September, is losing about 300 billion won ($211.05 million) each month due to the delayed tariff deal, which is negatively affecting its exports to the U.S. market, Kim said.
A memorandum of understanding regarding South Korea's $350 billion investment package is also ready, but it has not yet been signed, and the timing of its signing remains undecided, according to the official.
"We are waiting for that because we need it to be officially announced to take follow-up measures, such as explaining it to parliament," the trade ministry official added.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Russia delivered nuclear munitions to field storage facilities in Belarus as part of major nuclear drills, the Russian Defence Ministry said on Thursday.
Chinese President Xi Jinping may visit North Korea as early as next week, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported late on Wednesday (21 May) quoting a senior government official.
A Paris appeals court will issue a verdict on Thursday on the 2009 crash of an Air France passenger jet after the airline and planemaker Airbus faced trial over corporate manslaughter.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 21st May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The United States has removed Francesca Albanese, a United Nations expert on the Palestinian territories, from its sanctions list, according to the U.S. Treasury Department website.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment