Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
Armenia’s Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has said a statement issued in Washington marks a significant step towards turning peace between Armenia and Azerbaijan into a lasting, institutionalised reality.
Speaking to Armenian media, Pashinyan described the declaration as "very important and significant", saying it reflected tangible progress rather than purely political intent.
His comments followed a joint statement released in Washington by Armenia’s Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, which focused on advancing the normalisation process between the two South Caucasus neighbours.
Pashinyan said work on peace along the Armenia-Azerbaijan border was already under way and moving faster than initially expected.
"We are moving forward much faster than we initially assumed," he said, adding that agreements recorded in the Washington statement were being translated into practical outcomes.
A central element of the declaration concerns the opening of regional transport and communication links, including Armenia’s access to regional railway networks.
Pashinyan said such access had been expected at a later stage of the process but had materialised earlier than anticipated.
He added that improved connectivity had implications beyond transport, laying the groundwork for deeper economic ties and helping to reduce the sense of isolation that has shaped Armenia’s regional position for decades.
The prime minister also highlighted the emergence of bilateral trade between Armenia and Azerbaijan, describing it as another unexpected but welcome development.
"Today, bilateral trade between Armenia and Azerbaijan has become a reality earlier than Armenia and the international community expected," he said, adding that it may even have occurred sooner than Azerbaijan had anticipated.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partnership set to shape the South Caucasus corridor for decades to come.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has called for closer security coordination between Central Asia and China, warning that expanding trade and infrastructure links are exposing the region to increasingly sophisticated cross-border threats.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment