Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
Turkish Defence Minister Yaşar Güler stated on Monday that it would take at least two months to reach initial conclusions and analyse the black box of a Turkish cargo plane that crashed in Georgia last week, resulting in the deaths of 20 soldiers.
The C-130 cargo aircraft had departed from Azerbaijan for Türkiye when it crashed in Georgia, marking the highest military death toll for NATO member Türkiye since 2020. Ankara has announced an investigation into the cause of the crash.
Speaking to the press after a cabinet meeting in Ankara, Güler explained that the black box of the aircraft was being examined by Turkish Aerospace Industries (TUSAS). He added that despite the incident, the C-130 planes – which Türkiye has operated since 1957 are generally considered safe.
"Based on preliminary findings, though not conclusive, the tail section appears to have detached first. It then split into three pieces. This will be confirmed through the black box inspection," he said, noting that aside from a 1999 engine fire, in which the aircraft managed to land safely, there had been no other significant issues with the C-130s.
Türkiye's Defence Ministry revealed last week that the aircraft was carrying a 10-person maintenance crew for Turkish F-16s that had previously participated in Azerbaijan’s Victory Day celebrations, as well as the flight crew and maintenance equipment.
The ministry also announced an agreement with the UK last month to procure 12 C-130 aircraft that will require modernisation and maintenance.
It was further disclosed last week that the crashed plane, purchased from Saudi Arabia in 2012, commenced flights in 2022, with its last maintenance completed a month ago. As a result, all scheduled flights for Türkiye's 18 C-130s have been suspended until further inspections are conducted.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partnership set to shape the South Caucasus corridor for decades to come.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has called for closer security coordination between Central Asia and China, warning that expanding trade and infrastructure links are exposing the region to increasingly sophisticated cross-border threats.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment