Azerbaijan launches first-ever WUF13 NGO Forum in Baku
The first-ever “WUF13 NGO Forum” in the history of the World Urban Forum (WUF) was held on 19 May 2026 at Azerbaijan’s initiative...
The European Union has removed Georgia’s Kulevi oil terminal from its sanctions list after receiving assurances from both the Georgian government and Azerbaijan’s state energy company SOCAR that the facility will no longer be used in ways that could bypass sanctions on Russian oil.
The decision was confirmed by a spokesperson for the European Commission, who said the port had previously raised concerns due to links with vessels associated with Russia’s so-called “shadow fleet.” These ships are widely believed to be used to transport Russian oil outside official channels, helping Moscow avoid Western restrictions imposed after the war in Ukraine.
According to the Commission, the concern was that such vessels could use the Kulevi Oil Terminal to re-export Russian oil, potentially violating EU sanctions.
However, the situation changed after Georgia committed to tightening control over port access. The country’s foreign ministry assured the EU that no vessels linked to the shadow fleet would be allowed to dock at Kulevi.
Additional guarantees were also provided by SOCAR, which operates the terminal. As a key player in the region’s energy infrastructure, SOCAR’s role was central to the EU’s decision to lift the restrictions.
Despite the move, Brussels has made it clear that monitoring will continue. The European Commission stressed that it will closely track whether the commitments are being followed in practice and warned that further measures could be introduced if any attempts to circumvent sanctions are detected.
The case highlights the growing importance of the Black Sea region in global energy logistics, especially as Europe seeks to enforce sanctions on Russian exports while maintaining stable supply routes. For Georgia, the decision removes immediate pressure but also places the country under continued scrutiny as it balances its economic role as a transit hub with its political commitments to Western partners.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has called for closer security coordination between Central Asia and China, warning that expanding trade and infrastructure links are exposing the region to increasingly sophisticated cross-border threats.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Uzbekistan has reported new fraud cases linked to employment in South Korea as investigators continue examining a wider migration corruption scheme estimated to have caused up to $90 million in losses.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment