Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
Hezbollah has pledged to defend the region against Israeli forces, warning it will resist any move to occupy southern Lebanon, as Israel sets out plans to establish a buffer zone following its latest invasion.
enior Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah said any Israeli advance south of the Litani River would pose an “existential threat” to Lebanon and would be met with armed resistance. “We have no choice but to confront this aggression and cling to the land,” he told Reuters.
The remarks came after Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said Israel intended to occupy territory up to the Litani River to create a “defensive buffer,” marking the clearest statement yet of plans to seize a significant portion of southern Lebanon.
Katz said Israeli forces would control key crossings and infrastructure in the area, describing the move as necessary to push threats away from border communities. He likened the strategy to operations in Gaza, including the demolition of buildings deemed to be used by Hezbollah.
Israel has already destroyed several bridges and intensified strikes on border villages, part of what it says is a campaign targeting Hezbollah fighters. Lebanese authorities say more than 1,000 people have been killed and over a million displaced.
The escalation follows Hezbollah’s involvement in the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran, after the group launched attacks into Israel earlier this month.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Archaeologists in Kyrgyzstan’s Naryn region are uncovering medieval bathhouses, mausoleums and ancient Silk Road settlements, while warning that many historical sites are rapidly deteriorating because of weather and erosion.
An interactive map showcasing the Christian heritage of Caucasian Albania in Garabagh was presented in London this week, highlighting Azerbaijan’s efforts to preserve and promote the religious and cultural legacy of the region.
The nomination of Russian-Armenian businessman Ruben Vardanyan for the 2026 Václav Havel Human Rights Prize has triggered criticism.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan met U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday (22 May) on the sidelines of a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in the Swedish city of Helsingborg.
Traditional pottery from Gijduvan has officially received geographical indication status in Uzbekistan, recognising the centuries-old craft as a product closely linked to its region of origin and cultural heritage.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment