Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan target $1 billion in trade by 2030
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deep...
A wave of attacks across Israel and southern Lebanon escalated on Wednesday (11 March), with authorities reporting up to 12 incoming missile and drone alerts over Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
No injuries have been reported in central Israel so far, but towns near the Lebanese border continue to bear the brunt of the conflict.
Northern Israel, particularly areas just kilometres from Lebanon, remains under constant threat from Hezbollah artillery and missile fire, with residents in the Golan Heights reporting frequent shelling.
Overnight, the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) launched a series of airstrikes targeting Hezbollah command centres and weapons storage sites in the southern suburbs of Beirut, including an apartment building in the city centre.
A separate strike reportedly hit a Hezbollah facility in the coastal city of Tahrir. Lebanese state media described the Beirut attack as the second in recent days.
The Lebanese Health Ministry said at least seven people were killed and 11 injured in Al-Shahabiya, southern Lebanon, following an Israeli strike.
In response to the intensifying conflict, the Israeli government is fast-tracking approval of the state budget, agreeing to allocate $13 billion in additional defence spending, with further provisions set aside for potential security scenarios.
Officials described the measures as a necessary investment to strengthen the country’s military response.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deepen economic and industrial ties.
Syria says it assured Israel that Türkiye had no plans to establish a military presence at the Abu al-Duhur airbase before Israeli forces struck the site on Tuesday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Two days inside Uzbekistan’s newsrooms, hospitals, factories and technology hubs reveal a country eager to show how it is changing — while that transformation is still under way.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment