live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
The Philippines remains under a "severe threat" from China despite recent efforts by Washington and Beijing to ease tensions, Philippine Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said on Saturday (30 May).
Speaking to on the sidelines of the Shangri-La Dialogue security forum in Singapore, Teodoro said the recent summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping had not changed Manila's assessment of the challenges posed by Beijing.
While it was natural for major powers such as the United States and China to seek ways to manage tensions, Teodoro said countries facing direct territorial disputes with China must continue to focus on their own security and resilience.
The Philippines and China have been involved in repeated confrontations in the South China Sea, where Beijing claims vast areas of waters that overlap with the exclusive economic zones of several regional states, including the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.
An international arbitration tribunal in 2016 rejected the legal basis of China's expansive claims, but Beijing has continued to assert its position and has dismissed the ruling.
Teodoro said there was no indication that Washington's commitments under the U.S.-Philippines Mutual Defense Treaty had been weakened by either the Trump-Xi summit or the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
He said the alliance with the United States was reinforced by growing defence cooperation with countries including Japan, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
According to Teodoro, the Philippines is pursuing a strategy focused on strengthening deterrence, improving defence infrastructure and building resilience against external pressure.
Manila has accelerated military modernisation efforts in recent years, expanded access agreements with allies and increased joint military exercises amid tensions in the South China Sea.
Teodoro dismissed reports that China had offered assistance to the Philippines, including fertiliser and fuel supplies during shortages linked to disruptions caused by the conflict in the Middle East.
He said such gestures did not alter Manila's assessment of Beijing's actions in the region and argued that any long-term demonstration of goodwill remained absent.
The defence secretary added that the Philippines would continue to prioritise national security and strategic partnerships while maintaining its current approach toward China.
Teodoro also rejected speculation that he could seek the presidency in 2028 when President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.'s term ends, saying he remained focused on his current responsibilities in government.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
South African human rights and environmental groups have urged the government to block Israeli-linked Navitas Petroleum from acquiring a stake in a major offshore oil block, citing concerns over the war in Gaza and environmental risks.
Israel and Colombia will waive advance visa requirements for travellers from 1 September as the two countries move to restore diplomatic and economic relations following years of tensions over the war in Gaza.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment