Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
Israeli troops have moved further into southern Lebanon, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said on Tuesday, as the country continued strikes against Hezbollah targets in Lebanon.
The Israeli military said it had pushed deeper into southern Lebanon beyond the five posts it already holds in the area. Israel says the deployment is intended to create an additional layer of security for residents in northern Israel living close to the Lebanese border.
Meanwhile, several people were killed in Israeli strikes on a residential building in the eastern Lebanese city of Baalbek on Wednesday, according to Lebanon’s state news agency.
The IDF said it killed a Hezbollah intelligence chief on Monday in airstrikes targeting Beirut’s southern suburbs and southern Lebanon. Lebanon’s health ministry reported that 31 people were killed and 149 injured in the attacks.
Israel’s increased military activity in Lebanon comes as fighting continues across the wider Middle East. Saudi Arabia’s defence ministry said it intercepted and destroyed a drone in the country’s Eastern Province on Wednesday.
Iranian drones also struck the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh earlier this week, causing damage to the diplomatic compound, according to officials.
Separately, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said it had targeted a U.S. air base in Bahrain with drones and missiles, though the extent of the damage could not be independently verified.
The U.S. Department of State has asked non-essential government personnel and their families to leave 40 countries in the Middle East - including Iraq, Jordan and Bahrain - as the conflict escalates.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Archaeologists in Kyrgyzstan’s Naryn region are uncovering medieval bathhouses, mausoleums and ancient Silk Road settlements, while warning that many historical sites are rapidly deteriorating because of weather and erosion.
An interactive map showcasing the Christian heritage of Caucasian Albania in Garabagh was presented in London this week, highlighting Azerbaijan’s efforts to preserve and promote the religious and cultural legacy of the region.
The nomination of Russian-Armenian businessman Ruben Vardanyan for the 2026 Václav Havel Human Rights Prize has triggered criticism.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan met U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday (22 May) on the sidelines of a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in the Swedish city of Helsingborg.
Traditional pottery from Gijduvan has officially received geographical indication status in Uzbekistan, recognising the centuries-old craft as a product closely linked to its region of origin and cultural heritage.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment