Rubio pushes energy ties as U.S. seeks to reset strained India relationship
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promot...
China has moved to block U.S. sanctions on five of its oil refineries, in a fresh escalation of tensions over trade and energy policy.
The country’s Ministry of Commerce said it had issued an injunction preventing the enforcement of measures imposed by Washington on companies accused of purchasing Iranian oil.
The announcement, reported by state news agency Xinhua, names Hengli Petrochemical along with four smaller “teapot” refiners: Shandong Jincheng Petrochemical Group, Hebei Xinhai Chemical Group, Shouguang Luqing Petrochemical and Shandong Shengxing Chemical.
The U.S. Treasury placed sanctions on Hengli Petrochemical in April, accusing it of buying billions of dollars’ worth of Iranian oil.
The other four firms had already been targeted in earlier measures introduced under President Donald Trump as part of efforts to restrict Tehran’s oil revenues.
China’s commerce ministry said the sanctions breach “international law and the basic norms of international relations”.
It added that the injunction means the United States “cannot recognise, implement, or comply with the sanctions imposed on the aforementioned five Chinese companies”.
The restrictions have already created operational challenges for the companies involved.
Industry sources say some refiners have struggled to secure crude supplies and have had to rebrand their products to continue trading.
The smaller independent plants, often referred to as “teapot” refineries, make up about a quarter of China’s refining capacity.
They typically operate on narrow margins and have been under pressure from weaker domestic demand in recent months.
The move by Beijing is likely to deepen friction between the two countries, as disputes over sanctions and trade continue to affect global energy markets.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment