live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the Islamic Republic has closed its security gaps after Israel and U.S. repeatedly bombed the country in June.
Tehran also said it spotted Israel’s security shortcomings during the 12-day war.
In an interview with the Omani presenter Musa al-Far’I reported by IRNA, he said the war had its blessings, “the most important of which was that Iran’s missiles and other weapons were tested for the first time in a real war”.
“The 12-day war undoubtedly inflicted heavy losses and costs on us, but it also had its blessings … we used these to their full potential, and all our strengths and weaknesses were revealed to us.”
He stressed that Iran has a better defence power than it did before the start of war in June both in terms of the quantity and quality.
According to Araghchi, Iran not only recognised its weaknesses and addressed them, but it also identified weaknesses of its enemy based on which Tehran has made upgrades to its security plans.
“We recognised our weaknesses and also the weaknesses of the enemy, and we eliminated many of them. We also revised many of our policies.”
He added that Tel Aviv and Washington waged the war out of misunderstanding and miscalculation because it ultimately cemented the national solidarity of Iranians.
“The recent war has helped us close many security gaps. As I said, the war has given us valuable experiences because it has exposed our weaknesses and we have addressed them.”
Iran and U.S. were in the middle of mediated nuclear negotiations when Israel attacked Iran on June 13. Days later, U.S. President Donald Trump joined Israel, ordering strikes on Iran’s major civilian nuclear site under UN safeguards on June 22.
He also said Israel and the U.S. thought the war would turn the people of Iran against their government, but the opposite happened.
“The people came to the streets to support the government and the country. As a result, our national unity was strengthened.”
Araghchi’s interview with Ma' Musa al-Far'i program took place last month in Muscat, Oman but surfaced recently as the rhetoric between Iranian and Israeli military officials appeared to lean toward the possibility of a second encounter.
“This war that the Zionist regime started was based on misunderstanding and miscalculation, and as I said, repeating this mistake will not result in anything but the same defeat,” warned Iran’s top diplomat.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul seeks Belarusian machinery and support to develop domestic manufacturing.
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deepen economic and industrial ties.
Syria says it assured Israel that Türkiye had no plans to establish a military presence at the Abu al-Duhur airbase before Israeli forces struck the site on Tuesday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment