Pakistan adds 12 sites to UNESCO tentative list, taking total to 37
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's r...
An extratropical cyclone has caused widespread disruption across Brazil’s São Paulo state, with powerful winds toppling trees and power lines, blocking streets and leaving large parts of the region without electricity.
In São Bernardo do Campo, strong gusts brought down electricity poles and centuries-old trees, crushing cars and a lorry and cutting off access to several homes. Residents reported hearing a power transformer explode shortly before the outages began. Those affected said elderly people and patients reliant on medical equipment were facing heightened risks due to the prolonged lack of power.
The storm also damaged infrastructure, including the roof of a petrol station, which collapsed under the force of the winds.
At São Paulo’s Congonhas Airport, travellers faced long queues, delays and widespread cancellations.
Milena Porto, a passenger travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Goiânia, said her connection was cancelled after she arrived late in São Paulo, forcing her to spend the night in the city at her own expense. She said the airline had promised a refund and she was now waiting to be rebooked.
Authorities said around 1.5 million homes and businesses were without electricity on Thursday (11 December). Energy provider Enel reported wind speeds reaching 98 km/h, with about 2 million customers losing power at the storm’s peak.
The company said supply had been restored for 500,000 consumers by Thursday morning.
Brazil’s energy regulator Aneel has demanded a detailed explanation from Enel regarding the scale and duration of the outages.
Water utility Sabesp said that power cuts had knocked out pumping stations, disrupting supply across multiple districts. The company said water services were being gradually restored.
Air travel was also severely affected. Airport operator Aena said Congonhas Airport cancelled 31 arrivals and 15 departures on Thursday, after scrapping 181 flights on Wednesday.
At Guarulhos International Airport, one of Latin America’s busiest hubs, 61 arrivals and 56 departures were cancelled since Wednesday, though operations had largely normalised by Thursday morning.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
Rhossi, a rare Kemp’s ridley sea turtle that washed up near death on a Welsh beach in 2023, has returned to Texas after more than two years of rehabilitation in the UK.
Glacier coverage in Kyrgyzstan’s Issyk-Kul Basin has shrunk by 33.7 per cent over the past 70–90 years, according to an updated glacier inventory by Kyrgyzhydromet. The agency says the pace of glacier retreat has accelerated sharply in recent years.
Extreme heat and historically low river levels are forcing nuclear power plants across Southeast Europe to reduce production, increasing pressure on already stretched electricity supplies and prompting governments to call for lower consumption.
Flash floods in Gansu Province in China's northwest last week killed 25 people and injured 23 more, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday, raising earlier death tolls.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment