Russian ballistic missile strike on Kyiv kills 5, Poland activates air defences
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least five people and injured more than two dozen others...
At least nine people, including children and their rescuers, died after sudden floodwaters swept through a river in Pakistan’s Swat Valley, turning a family picnic into tragedy.
A family picnic turned deadly in northern Pakistan’s Swat Valley on June 27, when sudden floodwaters—swollen by monsoon rains—swept away children taking photos in the river and relatives who tried to save them. According to district administrator Shehzad Mahboob, nine bodies have been recovered so far, but it's still unclear how many of the victims were children.
The family were domestic tourists visiting the area, local mayor Shahid Ali Khan confirmed. Over 80 rescue personnel and local volunteers are searching for survivors, rescue official Shah Fahad said.
The Provincial Disaster Management Authority later issued a flood alert, urging the public to take safety measures due to high water levels.
Each summer, tens of thousands of Pakistani tourists flock to the northern peaks and glaciers. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif expressed sorrow over the tragedy, according to a statement from his office.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least five people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
The grandmother of five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab has rejected an Israeli military investigation into her killing, saying the family does not trust the Israeli judiciary and calling instead for an independent international probe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment