South Korea seeks talks after Trump orders cut to U.S. military drills
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military...
Azerbaijan has offered over $1 billion for Pakistan’s Sukkur-Hyderabad Motorway (M-6), but internal disagreements delay progress amid economic instability.
ISLAMABAD: Azerbaijan has offered Pakistan over $1 billion to fund the $1.2 billion Sukkur-Hyderabad Motorway (M-6), but government departments disagree on the loan structure.
During his visit, PM Shehbaz Sharif sought $1.8 billion for the M-6 and a new Hyderabad-Karachi Motorway (M-9), estimated at $600 million. Azerbaijan proposed either depositing funds in Pakistan’s central bank or directly financing the M-6 with the Islamic Development Bank (IDB).
Pakistan previously missed a $2 billion investment opportunity from Azerbaijan. Meanwhile, China, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Kuwait have deposited $12.7 billion to support Pakistan’s reserves.
The Finance Ministry opposes a cash deposit for road construction, preferring direct borrowing. Deputy PM Ishaq Dar urged finalizing investment proposals by April 3.
A feasibility study divides the M-6 into five sections. IDB may fund the first two, while Azerbaijan is interested in the rest. Under a public-private partnership, the project could be completed in 2.5 years.
The federal government recently prioritized a Rs436 billion Punjab motorway over the M-6. Meanwhile, the NHA plans a six-lane M-9 to improve Karachi-Hyderabad connectivity, costing over $600 million. However, political and economic instability continues to deter foreign investment in Pakistan.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment