San Diego Mosque Attack: Expert says there is a global connection driving these attacks
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic...
The Rwanda-backed M23 armed group announced Monday that it will withdraw from peace talks scheduled for Tuesday in Angola. The rebels had planned direct negotiations with the Democratic Republic of Congo's government to resolve the conflict in the country's east.
The Congo River Alliance of rebel groups, including M23, stated it was pulling out of talks due to sanctions imposed earlier in the day by the EU on M23 and Rwandan officials.
The rebel group coalition said in a statement that the EU actions were aimed at "obstructing the much-anticipated talks."
Rwanda also said that it was cutting diplomatic ties with its former colonial ruler, Belgium, with Kigali accusing Brussels of attempting to "sustain its neo-colonial delusions."
Rwanda announced on Monday that it had severed diplomatic ties with Belgium, giving Belgian diplomats 48 hours to leave the country.
Belgium's foreign affairs minister, Maxime Prevot, described the move as "disproportionate," adding that Brussels would declare Rwandan diplomats persona non grata.
Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi had previously refused direct talks with the M23 rebels, who have fought the government for over a decade. However, Tshisekedi announced last week that he was willing to meet with the M23 group after a meeting with his Angolan counterpart, who has acted as a mediator in the conflict.
Tina Salama, a spokesperson for Tshisekedi, stated that despite the M23's withdrawal, the government delegation would still travel to Luanda for the talks.
The M23 escalated its offensive earlier this year, and despite assertions by the US and UN experts, Rwanda has denied supporting the rebels.
M23 is one of nearly 100 armed groups vying for control of the mineral-rich eastern Congo near the Rwanda border. The rebel group has seized two major cities in eastern Congo since fighting intensified earlier this year, resulting in thousands of deaths and the displacement of hundreds of thousands.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment