Colombia's president says early quake losses estimated at $9.6 billion
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia ...
NASA’s acting administrator Janet Petro said on Wednesday that a government efficiency panel led by Elon Musk will review the space agency’s spending, while confirming that hundreds of NASA employees have accepted a federal buyout plan.
The Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), a Trump administration initiative led by billionaire SpaceX founder Elon Musk, is set to scrutinize NASA’s financial outlays, Petro told reporters at a Washington space industry conference.
🚀 "They're going to look—similarly to what they've done in other agencies—at our payments and what money has gone out," Petro said.
NASA Under Budget Scrutiny
The review comes as Trump’s administration accelerates cost-cutting measures across federal agencies. NASA’s $24 billion annual budget includes a range of science and exploration missions, but some programs may be at risk.
📉 Hundreds of NASA employees have accepted the buyout program initiated by the administration, Petro confirmed, though she did not specify the exact number.
Musk’s SpaceX and Conflict of Interest Concerns
SpaceX currently holds $15 billion in NASA contracts, primarily for:
✔ Transporting astronauts to and from the International Space Station
✔ Landing humans on the Moon with its Starship vehicle
Asked whether Musk’s leadership of DOGE posed conflict of interest concerns, Petro said NASA’s legal office would review any potential conflicts and enforce the agency’s strict policies.
Moon Missions at Risk?
The future of NASA’s Artemis program, designed to land humans on the Moon, is now uncertain as both Musk and Trump emphasize Mars exploration as a priority.
For the DOGE panel, NASA’s over-budget Space Launch System (SLS) rocket is a potential target for cost-cutting, though its strong political backing in Republican-majority states could complicate any cancellation efforts.
Trump’s Executive Orders Reshape NASA
The Trump administration has already sent executive orders to federal agencies, including NASA, instructing them to eliminate government diversity programs and implement cost reductions.
📢 "All the officials in charge are really trying to wrap our heads around all the executive orders as they're flying at us," Petro said.
With DOGE ramping up its reviews, NASA’s long-term mission priorities may face major shifts, as the Trump administration pushes for a leaner, Mars-focused space strategy.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment