Uzbekistan faces $1.5 billion hit if Middle East tensions disrupt Iran trade route
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure...
Seven people have been arrested in Italy over suspected sabotage attacks on high-speed railway lines during the Winter Olympics earlier this year.
Italian police said on Tuesday that the suspects, believed to belong to an anarchist militant network, were detained on suspicion of terrorism-related offences.
The attack on the Rome–Florence high-speed rail line on 14 February caused €455,000 (£390,000) worth of damage and led to train delays of more than an hour during the Milan–Cortina Winter Olympics.
According to investigators, the sabotage was carried out using improvised explosive devices.
Police said the anarchist group claimed responsibility for the attack, as well as a separate attack carried out at the same time on the Rome–Naples line, in posts published on an Italian-language blog created a few months before the incident.
An English translation of a post dated 20 February states that the group sabotaged the "Milan-Cortina railway line" on the night of 13 February.
“We set fire to and damaged cables along the tracks, effectively blocking several high-speed lines,” the post reads.
“These actions are our contribution to the warm welcome and good wishes for this edition of the Winter Olympic Games.”
The post added that the attack “ultimately expresses our anger at the presence… of ICE agents” at the event.
Personnel from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement were present at the Milano Cortina Olympics. Their role at the event was limited to protecting the American delegation and they were not involved in immigration enforcement.
In a 40-page political manifesto written in Italian and posted on the same website on Monday, the group also claimed responsibility for sabotaging the Transalpine Pipeline, which transports oil from the port of Trieste in Italy to refineries across central Europe.
Damage to a transmission pylon in March put supplies of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel to Germany’s largest oil refinery at risk for several days.
The manifesto, titled A Proposal for War, criticises capitalism and contemporary Western societies and advocates attacks against structures that sustain state and economic power.
According to police, the group was based in Rome but maintained links with other cells in Bologna, Milan and Naples.
Rome prosecutors have issued a number of search warrants against other suspects under investigation in several Italian cities.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni thanked law enforcement agencies for their work in tracking down and dismantling the “anarcho-insurrectionist network”.
Writing on X, she said the police operation had delivered “a heavy blow to those who believe they can threaten the nation's security, target strategic infrastructure and call into question the principles of democratic coexistence.”
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment