live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
Russian opposition politician Lev Shlosberg has been sentenced to 11 years and one month in a penal colony after being convicted of criticising Russia's military campaign in Ukraine.
Shlosberg, Deputy Chairman of the liberal Yabloko party, denied the charges and described the case as politically motivated. Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 12 years and one month.
In his final statement, he called the war a catastrophe for Russia and repeated his demand for an immediate ceasefire.
“I am an innocent man, against whom criminal charges have been unlawfully brought.”
The case centred on allegations that Shlosberg discredited Russia's armed forces and spread false information about the military.
One charge related to a Telegram post from February 2022, shortly before Russia introduced sweeping wartime censorship laws. Another stemmed from a public debate in which he was accused of calling for a ceasefire.
Shlosberg argued that the charges were unlawful and maintained that some of the statements cited by prosecutors had been made by his debate opponent.
In his closing remarks, he also spoke about the human cost of the war.
"The lives of countless thousands of people have been cut short during this time. Sooner or later, the precise and complete death toll - with names included - will be made public, and the entire nation will shudder at this list of martyrs," he said, according to a transcript by independent news outlet Mediazona.
“Today, cemeteries in our country, including military ones, are growing far more rapidly than maternity wards, kindergartens, and schools,” he said.
Moscow says it is fighting to address security threats from NATO and Ukraine, and to defend the rights of Russian-speakers living in Ukraine. However, Kyiv and its Western allies reject these as a false premise for launching the deadliest conflict in Europe since World War Two.
The sentence comes as the Yabloko party faces mounting pressure ahead of Russia's parliamentary election next month.
Russia's Supreme Court has barred it from taking part in the election, while the court rejected its appeal on Monday (17 August).
Yabloko is the only registered Russian political party to openly call for an end to the war. Its exclusion means there will be no major registered party campaigning nationally on that platform.
Yabloko Deputy Leader, Maxim Kruglov, was sentenced to seven years in June for spreading what authorities described as false information about the military.
Russia introduced tough laws after its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 giving lengthy prison sentences for people accused of spreading false information about the armed forces or discrediting the military.
The laws have sharply limited public criticism of the war inside Russia.
Shlosberg has now joined a small group of prominent opposition figures who have used court proceedings to speak publicly against the conflict and the Kremlin's policies, despite facing little prospect of acquittal.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
At least two people were killed, including the alleged shooter, and a number were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is considering a scheme to help local police officers cover the legal and financial risks of making immigration arrests under President Donald Trump’s crackdown.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment