live Iran threatens ‘fully offensive’ posture as oil prices surge above $91 a barrel
Iran has warned it will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture if efforts to reach a permanent peace deal with the U.S. fail, se...
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Drones hit a warehouse belonging to Russian e-commerce company Wildberries and other facilities near Moscow, regional Governor Andrei Vorobyov said. At least three people, including a 10-year-old girl, were injured in the region.
Wildberries said the warehouse sustained minor damage after drone debris struck one of its walls. Vorobyov said a fire at the site was extinguished, while other buildings, including private homes, apartment blocks, shops and a power station, were also damaged.
The facility was reportedly targeted in one of the largest recent drone attacks on Moscow Oblast. Ukraine's Defence Ministry previously said the warehouse was the company's largest facility, covering about 250,000 square metres.
The reports could not be independently verified.
Separately, Moldova's Foreign Ministry condemned the violation of the country's airspace by an unidentified aerial object that later exploded on Monday.
Moldovan authorities said the object entered the country's airspace and exploded shortly afterward near Talmaza, close to the Ukrainian border. The explosion started a grass fire, but no casualties were reported.
The authorities did not identify the origin of the object.
“This incident constitutes a serious violation of the sovereignty of the Republic of Moldova and poses a direct risk to the safety of our citizens,” the Foreign Ministry said.
Moldova shares a border with Ukraine and supports Kyiv in its war in Ukraine. It has dealt with numerous incidents of drones flying over its territory and debris near the border.
Separately, Russia reportedly struck two cargo vessels in Ukrainian Black Sea ports on Monday, according to Russia's state-run RIA news agency, citing the Russian Defence Ministry.
The ministry said one vessel was hit in the port of Odesa and another in Mykolaiv, claiming both had been used to supply the Ukrainian military.
Reuters could not independently verify those claims.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
At least two people were killed, including the alleged shooter, and a number were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is considering a scheme to help local police officers cover the legal and financial risks of making immigration arrests under President Donald Trump’s crackdown.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment