live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
Kim's comments on bolstering the military strength on the frontier to make it an "impregnable fortress" came at a meeting on Sunday of commanders of divisions and brigades across the army, Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said
He called for adjusting the training system and expanding practical drills to reflect changes in modern warfare and redefine operational conceptsin North Korea's military, according to KCNA.
Kim stressed the need for vigilance against the "arch enemy," a term North Korea has used for South Korea.
The two Koreas are still technically at war after their 1950-53 conflict ended with an armistice rather than a peace agreement.
South Korea's Unification Ministry said on Monday it appeared to be Kim's first reported meeting with division and brigade commanders since he took power, adding that Seoul would continue to manage military tensions and seek to build trust.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Monday that North Korean troops had stepped up fortification work since March in areas near the land border between the two Koreas, including building walls.
Hong Min, a senior research fellow at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul, said Kim's reference to fortifying the "southern border" suggested Pyongyang may also strengthen its military presence on its maritime boundaries with the South, such as the disputed Northern Limit Line (NLL).
Kim's references to modern warfare and redefining operations "in all spheres" likely reflected lessons Pyongyang has drawn from the war in Ukraine and Middle East conflicts, including the use of drones, precision strikes and electronic warfare, Hong said.
"North Korea is clearly observing how traditional infantry and armoured tactics are being neutralised by new technologies," Hong observed.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment