China finds potentially easier-to-mine rare earth deposits in northeastern provinces
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove che...
U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Friday broadening U.S. sanctions against the Cuban government, two White House officials told Reuters, as he seeks to put more pressure on Havana.
The fresh sanctions target people, entities and affiliates that support the Cuban government's security apparatus or are complicit in corruption or serious human rights violations, as well as agents, officials or supporters of the government, the officials said.
It was not immediately clear who exactly had been hit with sanctions under the order, which was first reported by Reuters.
But a copy of the order released by the White House said the sanctions could apply to "any foreign person" operating in the "energy, defence and related materiel, metals and mining, financial services, or security sector of the Cuban economy, or any other sector of the Cuban economy."
The order authorises secondary sanctions for conducting or facilitating transactions with those targeted under the order, the officials said.
Cuba strongly rejected the new sanctions. Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez described them as “unilateral coercive measures” aimed at imposing “collective punishment against the Cuban people.”
Rodríguez said on X that the executive order violates the United Nations Charter and that the U.S. has no legal right to impose such measures on Cuba or third countries.
"They will not intimidate us," Rodríguez said.
El pueblo cubano responde a la nueva Orden Ejecutiva de EEUU, de hoy #1DeMayo, que contiene nuevas medidas coercitivas unilaterales.
— Bruno Rodríguez P (@BrunoRguezP) May 1, 2026
No van a amedrentarnos.#LaPatriaSeDefiende pic.twitter.com/inOJNCzjkb
Jeremy Paner, a former sanctions investigator at the U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control, said the move was the most significant one for non-American companies since the U.S. embargo against Cuba began decades ago.
"Oil and gas, mining companies, and banks that have carefully segregated their Cuba operations from the United States are no longer protected," said Paner, who is now a partner at Hughes Hubbard & Reed, a law firm.
The new sanctions are the latest broadside by the Trump administration against Cuba, which the president has repeatedly declared is near a state of collapse.
Under Trump, U.S. forces have launched strikes on boats allegedly carrying drugs off Venezuela and gone into Caracas to seize President Nicolás Maduro. Trump has said, without providing specifics, that "Cuba is next."
The officials said Trump's order contained an implicit warning to Cuba, accusing the Havana government of aligning itself with Iran and militant groups like Hezbollah.
"Cuba provides a permissive environment for hostile foreign intelligence, military, and terrorist operations less than 100 miles from the American homeland," one official said.
The U.S. has long demanded Cuba open its state-run economy, pay reparations for properties expropriated by the government of former leader Fidel Castro and hold "free and fair" elections. Cuba has said its form of socialist government is not up for negotiation.
The U.S. heaped additional sanctions and pressure on the island early this year, when it halted Venezuelan oil exports to Cuba after ousting Maduro on 3 January.
Trump later threatened to slap punishing tariffs on any other country that sent crude to Cuba, prompting Mexico, another top supplier, to stop shipments to the island.
The fuel shortage in Cuba has contributed to major national-level blackouts and prompted many foreign airlines to suspend flights to the island.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment