AnewZ Morning Brief - 22 February, 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of February, covering the latest developments you need to...
Islamic State claimed two attacks on Syrian army personnel on Saturday (22 February), saying they marked the start of a new phase of operations against the country’s leadership under President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
Islamic State (IS) said through its Dabiq news outlet that it targeted “an individual of the apostate Syrian regime” in the city of Mayadin in Deir al-Zor province using a pistol, and attacked two other personnel with machine guns in the northern city of Raqqa.
Syria’s Defence Ministry said a Syrian army soldier and a civilian were killed by “unknown assailants,” and a military source told Reuters the soldier belonged to the army’s 42nd Division.
The attacks come amid a sharp escalation by IS against Syria’s leadership under Ahmed al-Sharaa, who took power from Bashar al-Assad in December 2024.
On Saturday evening, IS released a recorded statement by its spokesperson, Abu Hudhayfa al-Ansari, who said Syria had “moved from Iranian occupation to Turkish-American occupation,” accusing al-Sharaa of acting as a “watchdog” for the global coalition.
The group said it had begun a “new phase of operations” in Syria and vowed that al-Sharaa’s fate would be no different from Assad’s.
President al-Sharaa signed Syria’s accession to the global coalition to defeat IS during a visit to the U.S. last November, when he met President Donald Trump.
Saturday’s incidents follow an IS claim two days earlier of an attack in Deir al-Zor that killed a member of the Interior Ministry’s internal security forces and wounded another.
Several social media accounts and Telegram channels supporting IS have in recent hours called for intensified attacks using motorcycles and firearms.
IS has carried out six attacks against Syrian government targets since the fall of Assad.
A report released last week by the U.N. Office of Counter-Terrorism said al-Sharaa and two senior cabinet ministers had been the targets of five foiled assassination attempts by IS, underscoring the group’s efforts to challenge the new Syrian leadership.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has captured global attention after forming an unusual but heart-warming bond with a stuffed orangutan toy following abandonment by its mother.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Pakistan said it carried out cross-border strikes on militant targets inside Afghanistan after blaming a series of recent suicide bombings, including attacks during the holy month of Ramadan, on fighters it said were operating from Afghan territory.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment