Azerbaijan President Aliyev meets world leaders in Baku as WUF drives strategic partnerships
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev has held a series of high‑level meetings with world leaders and del...
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody following his arrest on Thursday (19 February) on suspicion of misconduct in public office. A newly released photo shows the former prince departing Aylsham Police Station in Aylsham, England, seated in the backseat of a vehicle.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that Mountbatten-Windsor, a man in his sixties from Norfolk, has been released under investigation. The force said in a statement that searches in Norfolk have concluded, while searches in Berkshire are still ongoing.
Thames Valley Police added that it will not be making any further statements at this time.
Police have been looking into allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor – formerly Prince Andrew – shared sensitive information with the billionaire and convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein when he was a UK trade envoy.
Britain's King Charles III has stressed that “the law must take its course” after his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, insisting a full, fair and proper investigation be carried out by the appropriate authorities.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the King said "a full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities" would follow.
He added that the authorities would have the Royal Family’s "full and wholehearted support and co-operation" as the matter proceeds.
"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," he stressed.
The King said it would not be appropriate for him to comment further while the process continues.
"Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all," the statement concluded.
The family of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s longtime accuser, Virginia Giuffre, said Thursday that the disgraced royal’s arrest “lifted” their broken hearts.
“At last,” the now-deceased accuser’s two siblings and their spouses said in a statement following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest in the U.K.
“Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the U.K.’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation, and the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.”
Giuffre had long alleged that pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and his associate Ghislaine Maxwell forced her to have sex with Andrew at least three times, starting when she was 17.
The then-prince vehemently denied the claims, which ultimately led to him losing his royal titles and even his home.
In February 2022, Andrew settled a sexual abuse lawsuit filed by Giuffre in New York for more than $12 million, while maintaining that the payment was not an admission of wrongdoing.
Virginia Giuffre died by suicide last year.
Thames Valley Police said a man in his sixties from Norfolk was arrested on 19 February on suspicion of misconduct in public office, with searches under way at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
He remains in custody and police said they would not name him under national guidance.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the force had “opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office” and stressed the need to “protect the integrity and objectivity” of the inquiry.
He acknowledged “significant public interest” and said updates would follow when appropriate. Thames Valley Police did not provide the name of the arrested man but British media claims the man arrested on Thursday is Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
Outlets reported that six unmarked police cars and around eight plain clothed officers arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England earlier in the day before the detention took place.
Thames Valley Police said earlier this month that officers were assessing allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor had passed confidential government documents to Jeffrey Epstein, based on material recently released by the U.S. government.
Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has consistently denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein and has said he regrets their friendship.
He has not responded to requests for comment since the latest files emerged.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
Small businesses across Russia are increasingly feeling the impact of tighter internet restrictions, including limits on the messaging app Telegram, stricter controls on virtual private networks, and repeated mobile internet outages.
Taiwan’s President Lai Ching-te has reaffirmed the island’s commitment to sovereignty and regional stability following the recent meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping.
At least four people have been killed in a major Ukrainian drone attack on Russian territory, including the Moscow region, which authorities say faced its largest aerial assault in more than a year.
China has launched the world’s first experiment to study how artificial human embryos develop in space, marking a major step in understanding whether humans could one day reproduce beyond Earth.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment