U.S. imposed sanctions against two ICC court officials
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior tri...
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has partially shut down after Congress failed to reach agreement on immigration enforcement changes, deepening a political standoff between the White House and Senate Democrats.
Funding expired at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday (14 February) after lawmakers left Washington without a compromise.
Congress is not scheduled to return until 23 February, although leaders say members could be recalled if a deal is reached earlier.
Most DHS employees, including staff at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Transportation Security Administration and the Coast Guard, are expected to continue working because their roles are considered critical. However, they will not receive pay during the funding lapse.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection, which are at the center of the political dispute, are largely shielded from disruption.
Both agencies still have access to $75 billion approved last year under President Donald Trump’s domestic policy package, allowing operations and pay to continue.
Earlier this week, Senate Republicans failed to advance legislation to fund DHS for the remainder of the fiscal year, falling short of the 60 votes required to overcome a filibuster.
A separate attempt to pass a two-week stopgap measure was blocked by Democrats, who have made clear they will not support another short-term extension without enforcement reforms.
Democrats have outlined a list of proposed changes, including requiring federal agents to display identification, obtain judicial warrants before entering private property and stop wearing face coverings during operations.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Democrats are prepared to fund DHS but insist on what he described as “serious guardrails” to rein in enforcement practices. He argued the administration’s latest proposal does not go far enough.
A senior White House official said Democrats had rejected the administration’s most recent counterproposal. While expressing willingness to negotiate, the official said the administration would not accept limits that undermine the president’s authority on border security.
Republicans have stressed that immigration enforcement will continue despite the shutdown. House Appropriations Chairman Tom Cole said ICE and Border Patrol remain fully funded and accused Democrats of prolonging the standoff for political reasons.
The administration has pointed to steps taken after the Minnesota incident, including leadership changes in the region and the deployment of body cameras for immigration officers. Enforcement operations in Minnesota have since been scaled back.
Unlike last year’s 43-day government-wide shutdown, the current lapse affects only DHS, as other agencies are funded through September. However, Senate rules requiring 60 votes to pass funding legislation mean bipartisan support is necessary.
A new national poll shows public approval of the president’s handling of immigration has declined in recent months, adding further pressure as negotiations continue.
For now, DHS remains partially closed, with no clear timeline for resolution.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment