Azerbaijan is setting the rules in a changing South Caucasus
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing infl...
U.S. border chief Tom Homan said on Thursday (12 February) a federal immigration crackdown in Minnesota will end after months of raids that led to more than 4,000 arrests, mass protests and two fatal shootings.
The operation, launched by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement on 1 December in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, is now being wound down with President Donald Trump’s approval.
Speaking at a news conference, Homan said he had proposed concluding what authorities called “Operation Metro Surge,” adding that Trump had agreed. He said the drawdown of federal officers began this week and would continue into next week, though he plans to remain in Minnesota to oversee the process.
Federal officials say the sweeps targeted what they described as “dangerous criminal illegal aliens.”
However, critics argue that individuals without criminal records, including children and U.S. citizens, were also detained during the operation.
Homan said the surge had made Minnesota “less of a sanctuary state for criminals” and insisted that Minneapolis was now safer. Last week he announced that 700 federal officers would leave the state immediately but more than 2,000 personnel remained deployed.
He previously cited increased co-operation with local jails holding deportable inmates as a reason for scaling back the federal presence.
Homan assumed direct oversight of the operation in late January.
Democratic Governor Tim Walz said he expected the operation to conclude within “days, not weeks and months,” following conversations with Homan and White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey also described a “positive meeting” with Homan to discuss further reductions.
The Department of Homeland Security did not respond to requests for comment on Walz’s remarks.
Federal immigration enforcement in Minnesota drew widespread criticism after two U.S. citizens were fatally shot by federal agents during Operation Metro Surge, intensifying political and legal backlash.
On 7 January, an ICE agent shot and killed Renée Good, 37, during a raid in Minneapolis - a case that sparked protests and calls for accountability amid conflicting accounts of the incident and video evidence circulating online.
Days later, ICU nurse Alex Pretti, also 37, was shot dead by federal agents in Minneapolis, leading to further outrage and a homicide declaration by the local medical examiner.
The deaths prompted protests, lawsuits by state and city officials challenging the legality of the federal operation, and debates over use of force and transparency, including calls for civil rights investigations into the shootings.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment