Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found ...
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer delivered a stark apology on Thursday, launching a direct attack on former British ambassador to the United States Peter Mandelson and admitting he was wrong to trust him.
“I am sorry for having believed Mandelson’s lies and appointing him,” Starmer said, as anger continued to spread across parliament over why the appointment was made despite long-known ties between Mandelson and the late U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Starmer said the depth of that connection had only now become clear.
“It had been publicly known for some time that Mandelson knew Epstein, but none of us knew the depth and the darkness of that relationship,” he said at the start of a speech in southern England.
Files released last week by the U.S. Justice Department revealed emails that underscored how close the relationship was and suggested Mandelson leaked government documents to Epstein.
Records also indicated Epstein had logged payments to Mandelson or his then-partner, now husband.
Mandelson, a senior Labour figure when the party last governed more than 15 years ago, quit the House of Lords on Tuesday and is under police investigation for alleged misconduct in office.
He has said he does not recall receiving payments and has not commented on the leaking allegations. He has not responded to requests for comment.
With polls showing Starmer already facing public discontent, some Labour lawmakers say the episode raises serious questions about his judgement and could threaten his position.
Addressing victims of Epstein, Starmer said: “I want to say this to Epstein’s victims: I am sorry. Sorry for what was done to you, sorry that so many people with power failed you.”
Starmer said he wanted to release the vetting advice he received before appointing Mandelson as ambassador but added that police had asked him not to release anything that could “prejudice an investigation.”
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found dead after the attack, authorities have confirmed.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment