Spain approves euthanasia for woman paralysed in suicide attempt, despite father's disapproval
Spain’s Constitutional Court has rejected an appeal by the father of a 25‑year‑old woman who opposed her right to euthanasia, clearing the way f...
Severe storms have disrupted cargo flows across Europe, shutting terminals and slowing vessel movements for some of the world’s biggest carriers.
Container shipping companies Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd said on Wednesday that heavy storms and snowfall were forcing ports to halt operations and divert vessels across key European routes.
Maersk reported disruptions in south-west and western Europe, saying conditions had also slowed deliveries to northern markets.
“The severe conditions are causing significant industry-wide disruptions,” the company told customers, adding that “vessels [are] sheltering and terminals having to stop operations or work with reduced productivity.”
A Maersk spokesperson said closures were affecting ports along the western coasts of Spain and Morocco, stretching up through the Bay of Biscay to Britain.
The company added there was no timeline for a full resumption of services. Hapag-Lloyd said it was experiencing “significant reductions” due to the weather.
The strain on operations has extended into open waters, with CMA CGM confirming last week that one of its ships lost 58 containers off Malta after unexpectedly strong conditions, with additional deck cargo damaged.
According to Reuters, Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd continue to operate multi-million-TEU fleets, with their new Gemini Cooperation expected to deploy more than 4.5 million TEU of combined capacity across major trade lanes.
In its latest published results, Hapag-Lloyd reported transporting around 12.5 million TEU in 2024, while Maersk’s fleet capacity stands at roughly 4.1 million TEU, underscoring the scale of cargo moving through their networks.
Analysts say severe weather disruptions typically raise operating costs by slowing vessel movements, increasing fuel use and adding port congestion, and warn that even short interruptions in Europe can trigger wider delays across global supply chains and temporarily push freight rates higher.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
Spain’s Constitutional Court has rejected an appeal by the father of a 25‑year‑old woman who opposed her right to euthanasia, clearing the way for the procedure to go ahead, the court said on Friday (20 February).
Europe's five largest defence powers are teaming up on a multi-million-euro project to bring low-cost air-defence systems such as autonomous drones or missiles into production within 12 months, ministers meeting in Krakow, Poland, said on Friday (20 February).
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov reaffirmed Russia’s support on Friday (20 February) for the negotiation process between Washington and Tehran amid escalating regional tensions.
Relations between Russia and Japan have effectively collapsed due to Tokyo’s “unfriendly” stance towards Moscow, the Kremlin said on Friday (20 February), adding that there is currently no dialogue aimed at concluding a peace treaty.
A UN investigation says the Rapid Support Forces assault on al-Fashir, in western Sudan, showed signs of genocide, citing mass killings, coordinated attacks and exterminatory language targeting non-Arab groups.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment