San Diego Mosque Attack: Expert says there is a global connection driving these attacks
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic...
Leaders from several countries have received invitations to join a so-called U.S.-led ‘Board of Peace’, an initiative that would initially aim to end the conflict in Gaza before expanding to address other global disputes, diplomats said on Saturday.
The White House on Friday announced some members of the board, which would oversee Gaza’s temporary governance under a fragile ceasefire in place since October, before continuing its work elsewhere.
Those named include U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, President Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, former British prime minister Tony Blair and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.
Trump will chair the board, according to a plan unveiled in October.
Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas signed off on the proposal, which envisages Gaza being governed during a transitional period by a Palestinian technocratic administration overseen by an international board.
"It’s going to, in my opinion, start with Gaza and then do conflicts as they arise," Trump told Reuters in an interview earlier this week.
"Other countries that are going to war with each other," he added when asked about the board’s objectives.
The White House said the responsibilities of individual board members had not yet been detailed and confirmed that no Palestinians had been named. Officials said additional members would be announced in the coming weeks.
The administration also named a separate 11-member "Gaza Executive Board" to support the technocratic body.
It includes Turkish foreign minister Hakan Fidan, UN Middle East peace coordinator Sigrid Kaag, United Arab Emirates international cooperation minister Reem Al-Hashimy and Israeli-Cypriot businessman Yakir Gabay.
However, the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the composition of the Gaza Executive Board had not been coordinated with Israel and contradicted its policy, in an apparent reference to Turkey’s inclusion.
The Israeli government did not immediately respond to requests for further comment.
The plan has drawn criticism from rights experts and advocates, who say a U.S.-led board overseeing governance of a foreign territory resembles a colonial structure.
Blair’s involvement has also been criticised because of his role in the Iraq war and the history of British imperialism in the Middle East.
Four sources said the leaders of France, Germany, Australia and Canada were among those invited to sit on the Board of Peace.
The offices of the Egyptian and Turkish presidents confirmed they had received invitations, while a European Union official said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen had been invited to represent the EU.
Two diplomatic sources said the invitation letter included a "charter", described by one diplomat as a "Trump United Nations" that ignored the fundamentals of the UN charter and promoted what it called a "bold new approach to resolving global conflict".
The White House said the board would also include private equity executive Marc Rowan, World Bank president Ajay Banga and Trump adviser Robert Gabriel. Nickolay Mladenov was named high representative for Gaza.
U.S. Army Major General Jasper Jeffers was appointed commander of an International Stabilisation Force. A UN Security Council resolution adopted in mid-November authorised the board and partner countries to establish the force in Gaza.
Israel and Hamas have accused each other of ceasefire violations, during which more than 450 Palestinians, including over 100 children, and three Israeli soldiers have been reported killed.
Israel’s military campaign in Gaza since October 2023 has killed tens of thousands of Palestinians, triggered a hunger crisis and displaced the territory’s entire population.
Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say the campaign amounts to genocide. Israel says it acted in self-defence after Hamas-led militants killed about 1,200 people and took more than 250 hostages in an attack in late 2023.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment