London event spotlights Christian heritage of Caucasian Albania in Garabagh
An interactive map showcasing the Christian heritage of Caucasian Albania in Garabagh was presented in...
Colombia’s commerce minister, Diana Marcela Morales, has said she will propose raising tariffs on certain Ecuadorian goods from 30% to 50%, as a trade dispute between the neighbouring countries intensifies.
Her remarks follow Ecuador’s announcement on Thursday (26 February) that it will increase tariffs on Colombian imports to 50% from 1 March. Quito said the move was prompted by what it described as a lack of cooperation from Colombia in tackling drug trafficking along their shared border - an allegation Bogotá denies.
“We are going to present the proposal not only to raise tariffs on the 73 tariff subheadings, but also to consider other products that could generate some degree of sensitivity due to the measures Ecuador has taken today,” Morales told Blu Radio.
“It would be 50% for the 73 subheadings that currently have a 30% rate,” she added.
Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa defended the decision, reiterating his claim that Colombia has failed to cooperate on border security. The frontier region is a major hub for cocaine trafficking and other forms of contraband.
Noboa said the surcharge reflected Colombia’s “absolute lack of oversight at the border”, adding that Colombian forces had withdrawn several hundred kilometres from the frontier. As a result, Ecuador’s border protection costs had doubled to nearly $400 million a year, he said.
He added that Ecuador had already raised $13 million through the tariff, which was first announced in January, and that violence in the area had declined.
According to Noboa, Ecuador runs a trade deficit of $1.1 billion with Colombia.
Shortly after the initial tariffs were imposed, Ecuador increased the fee on Colombian crude transported through its SOTE pipeline by 900% to $30 per barrel, prompting Colombia to halt shipments.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a largely successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
Ukraine’s military denied that it struck a student dormitory in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region on Friday (22 May).
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment