Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
Kyiv is facing its most severe wartime energy crisis, with the capital receiving only about half the electricity it needs, Mayor Vitali Klitschko told Reuters on Friday.
Kyiv is facing its most severe wartime energy crisis, with the capital receiving only about half the electricity it needs, Mayor Vitali Klitschko told Reuters on Friday. The shortage follows repeated Russian attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure, leaving thousands of apartment buildings without heating amid subzero temperatures. “It’s the first time in the history of our city that, in such severe frosts, most of the city was left without heating and with a huge shortage of electricity,” Klitschko said.
The mayor said the city’s 1,700-megawatt demand is being prioritised for critical infrastructure, including water supply and heating systems. Repair teams have worked around the clock to restore services after a Russian strike last week cut heating to 6,000 buildings. About 100 buildings remain without heating. Ukraine’s new energy minister, Denys Shmyhal, said emergency electricity imports are underway, and the country must add 2.7 gigawatts of generation capacity by year-end to meet demand.
Klitschko described the strikes as part of a broader Russian strategy targeting Kyiv to undermine civilian morale and break resistance. “Putin’s goal is all of Ukraine, especially the heart of Ukraine — Kyiv. These attacks are not just military; they are meant to leave people without heat, water, and electricity,” he said.
Schools in Kyiv will remain closed until February as authorities prioritise safety amid rolling blackouts. Residents are relying on public warming centres, generators, and gas ovens to survive subfreezing temperatures. Families have reported classrooms as cold as 12 degrees Celsius, forcing children to wear extra layers and eat cold meals.
The situation extends beyond Kyiv. Other major cities, including Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, and Odesa, are also struggling after attacks on local energy facilities. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said 400,000 people were left without electricity in Kharkiv alone, while Ukrainian authorities have declared an energy emergency for the country.
Ukraine’s government and international partners are mobilising aid. Norway has pledged an initial $200 million to help stabilise power supplies, while emergency measures include reducing overnight curfews, limiting outdoor lighting, and extending school holidays.
Zelenskyy also confirmed a Ukrainian delegation is travelling to the United States for talks on further support and coordination, urging pressure on Moscow to end the conflict. “There must be sufficient pressure on Moscow. I believe we are very close to ending the war if that pressure is applied,” he said.
The winter attacks highlight the growing humanitarian toll of Russia’s repeated targeting of civilian infrastructure. UN officials warn that elderly, children, and people with limited mobility are among the hardest hit, and experts emphasise that Ukraine faces unprecedented challenges in maintaining essential services during the ongoing conflict.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment