At least 90 miners killed in gas blast at coal mine in northern China
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday a...
Pope Leo is planning to visit Angola as part of a wider tour of several African countries, the Vatican’s ambassador to Angola said on Tuesday.
Archbishop Kryspin Dubiel told reporters in Luanda that Leo had accepted an invitation from President Joao Lourenco, although the timing and other arrangements have yet to be finalised.
The anticipated trip could potentially become the pontiff’s first overseas trip in 2026.
“The Holy Father has accepted the invitation, but we are currently working on the itinerary and programme,” Dubiel said.
The Vatican press office did not immediately comment.
Elected in May to succeed the late Pope Francis, Leo XIV has made only one foreign trip so far, visiting Turkiye and Lebanon in November and December.
In a press conference in December, the pope said he hoped to travel to Africa, though he did not specifically mention Angola.
A member of the Augustinian order, Leo has also expressed a wish to visit Algeria, the birthplace of St Augustine of Hippo.
The most recent papal visit to Africa took place in 2023, when Pope Francis travelled to the Democratic Republic of Congo and South Sudan. Pope Benedict XVI was the last pope to visit Angola, in 2009.
Leo, the first pope from the United States, visited Africa many times during his earlier career as a cardinal and as head of his religious order.
He is also expected to travel to Spain and the Canary Islands in 2026. The Canary Islands have become a key entry point for migrants seeking to reach Europe, and a Spanish cardinal said last week that plans for the visit were under way.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment