UK politicians call to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from royal succession after arrest
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arre...
The European Commission stated that the images of undressed women and children being shared on Elon Musk's social media platform, X, were both unlawful and appalling, joining a growing number of global officials condemning the rise in non-consensual imagery on the site.
This condemnation follows reports, including from Reuters, that X's integrated artificial intelligence chatbot, Grok, was producing a flood of on-demand images featuring women and minors in revealing clothing, a function X had previously described as "spicy mode."
The European Commission expressed that it was "very aware" of X's "spicy mode," with spokesperson Thomas Regnier telling reporters: "This is not spicy. This is illegal. This is appalling. This is disgusting. This is how we see it, and this has no place in Europe."
In the UK, regulator Ofcom demanded on Monday that X explain how Grok was able to generate images of undressed individuals and sexualised images of children, and whether it was failing in its legal obligation to protect users.
X did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding the statements from the European Commission or Ofcom. In its previous response to Reuters on the matter, X stated, "Legacy Media Lies." Online, Musk appeared to dismiss concerns over Grok's inappropriate content, posting laughing-so-hard-I'm-crying emojis in response to public figures who had been edited to appear in bikinis.
Ofcom said it was aware of "serious concerns" raised about the feature. "We have made urgent contact with X and xAI to understand what steps they have taken to comply with their legal duties to protect users in the UK," said a spokesperson.
In Britain, creating or sharing non-consensual intimate images or child sexual abuse material, including AI-generated hyper-realistic sexual content, is illegal. Furthermore, tech platforms are required to take action to prevent British users from encountering illegal content and to remove it once they are made aware of it.
These statements from EU and British officials come after French ministers reported X to prosecutors and regulators over the disturbing images, describing the "sexual and sexist" content as "manifestly illegal." Indian authorities have also demanded explanations from X regarding what they termed as obscene material.
Despite the growing international scrutiny over Grok's production of non-consensual images, U.S. federal authorities, under Musk ally Donald Trump, have yet to address the issue. Requests for comment from the Federal Communications Commission went unanswered, while the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice also did not immediately respond.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
The top U.S. military commander for Latin America, General Francis Donovan, accompanied by Senior Pentagon official Joseph Humire, made an unannounced trip to Venezuela on Wednesday for security talks, U.S. officials confirmed.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Hungary announced on Friday it is blocking a $106 billion (€90 billion) European Union loan intended to support Ukraine’s 2026–2027 budget and military needs, citing disruptions to Russian oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline.
Day 14 of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics delivered high-flying finals and emotional podium celebrations. From the halfpipe in Livigno to the hockey rink in Milan, athletes continued their push for medals as the Games continued.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment