Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
Venezuela has condemned the U.S. seizure of an oil tanker off its coast, describing the action as "blatant theft" and "international piracy." The move marks a sharp escalation in Washington-Caracas tensions, as Venezuelan officials vow to contest the seizure through international bodies.
U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed the operation on Wednesday, calling it the "largest one ever seized."
British maritime risk management group Vanguard said the very large crude carrier (VLCC) Skipper was believed to have been seized off Venezuela early on Wednesday.
However, Trump administration officials did not name the vessel or disclose its location at the time of the seizure.
The vessel, which had been sanctioned by the U.S. for transporting oil linked to both Venezuela and Iran, was targeted under a federal seizure warrant. U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi explained that the vessel was involved in what Washington calls an "illicit, terrorism-linked shipping network."
Bondi posted on X that the FBI, Homeland Security and Coast Guard, along with support from the U.S. military, carried out a seizure warrant for a crude tanker used to transport sanctioned oil from Venezuela and Iran.
A 45-second video posted by Bondi showed two helicopters approaching a vessel and armed individuals in camouflage rappelling onto it.
Iran's embassy in Caracas condemned the action as a "grave violation of international laws and norms" in a post on X on Thursday.
Speaking to reporters, President Trump said, "As you probably know, we've just seized a tanker on the coast of Venezuela. Large tanker, very large, largest one ever seized actually."
He added that "other things are happening," without providing further details.
The Skipper left Venezuela's main oil port of Jose between 4 and 5 December after loading some 1.8 million barrels of Venezuela's Merey heavy crude. It transferred about 200,000 barrels near Curacao to the Panama-flagged Neptune 6 bound for Cuba before the seizure, according to satellite information analysed by TankerTrackers.com and internal data from Venezuelan state oil company PDVSA.
When asked about the fate of the oil on the ship, Trump responded, "Well, we keep it. I guess."
Ongoing pressure
The incident is expected to further strain relations between the two countries, particularly as it comes amid Venezuela's ongoing struggles under U.S. sanctions.
In recent months, the U.S. has carried out more than 20 strikes on vessels it claims are involved in drug smuggling, with deadly results. These operations have raised legal and human rights concerns, with many questioning the legality of the strikes.
In addition, U.S. military aircraft have been stationed in Puerto Rico, where surveillance and transport units are supporting the broader regional buildup. The move is part of what U.S. officials describe as “enhanced readiness” in the Caribbean basin.
These developments come at a time when Venezuela’s oil exports are reaching some of their highest levels of the year, despite facing intense U.S. sanctions and growing competition from other sanctioned oil producers.
The seizure of the tanker and the increased U.S. military presence signal Washington’s continued determination to apply pressure on Maduro’s government and limit Venezuela’s oil exports. This latest escalation highlights the deepening geopolitical divide between the two nations, with Venezuela vowing to resist further U.S. actions.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment