live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Sudan’s Kordofan region is sliding into a familiar nightmare. Drone strikes, artillery fire and mounting civilian casualties are reviving memories of the devastation seen earlier this year in El Fasher, as fears grow that history is repeating itself.
Speaking to AnewZ on PrimeTime with Guy Shone, International Broadcaster and Senior Editor Sylivanus Karemera said that what is unfolding in Kordofan is ‘similar to what we saw a few months ago in El Fasher,’ warning that drones and heavy artillery are now ‘targeting civilians, schools and hospitals.’ His remarks come as Sudan’s Kordofan region witnesses a rapid escalation of violence that mirrors the devastation earlier this year in Darfur, with civilians again bearing the heaviest cost.
The crisis deepened on Thursday when a drone strike hit a kindergarten in the town of Kalogi in South Kordofan, killing 50 people, including 33 children, according to the Sudan Doctors’ Network. Paramedics rushing to treat survivors were then struck in a second attack, while a third nearby civilian site was also hit, rights group Emergency Lawyers reported. Both groups blamed the Rapid Support Forces, calling the strikes a severe breach of international humanitarian law. Communication blackouts mean the real toll may be higher.
International alarm grows as Kordofan deteriorates
Norway became the latest country to raise alarm over the spiralling civilian toll.
“The alarm is sounding for the Kordofan region in Sudan. I am extremely concerned about the reports of a large and increasing number of civilian casualties from airstrikes, artillery shelling, and summary executions,” Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide said in a statement.
Eide warned that as the world is still learning the full scale of atrocities committed in El Fasher, “chilling news is emerging from Kordofan,” citing reports of aerial and drone attacks that have killed large numbers of civilians. He highlighted the desperate humanitarian situation in the besieged cities of Kadugli, Dilling and El Obeid, where famine is looming and civilians remain trapped.
“We cannot allow the besieged cities of Kordofan to become another El Fasher,” he said. Eide called on the RSF to uphold its obligation to protect civilians and urged all armed actors to refrain from airstrikes in populated areas. He also appealed to countries with influence over the RSF to apply immediate pressure “to avoid new mass atrocities.”
UN warns history is repeating itself
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, has also warned that Kordofan risks becoming “another El Fasher” after the RSF seized Bara in North Kordofan in late October. The UN rights office has documented at least 269 civilian deaths from airstrikes, shelling and summary executions since then. The real number is believed to be higher due to widespread communication outages.
“It is truly shocking to see history repeating itself in Kordofan so soon after the horrific events in El Fasher,” Türk said. He urged states to halt arms transfers and demand that all parties stop targeting civilians.
Human rights groups report retaliatory killings, abductions, sexual violence, forced recruitment, including of children, and widespread displacement. More than 45,000 people have fled in recent weeks.
The war between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the RSF began in April 2023. After months of intense fighting in Darfur, the conflict has increasingly shifted into the oil rich Kordofan states.
Humanitarian access collapsing, famine emerging
The humanitarian situation is deteriorating at speed. UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said aid agencies are warning of severe shortages after sieges by the RSF and allied SPLM-N forces cut off entire communities. Civilians in Kadugli and Dilling are facing extreme hardship with dwindling access to food, medicine and basic services.
The UN has already identified famine conditions in Kadugli. Attacks continue in Babanusa, West Kordofan. Fighting has prevented farmers from accessing their fields, further eroding food supplies. Aid workers attempting to reach 1.1 million people in the region are operating under what the UN calls extraordinary risk.
Fears of a new mass exodus
The intensifying conflict threatens to push the world’s largest displacement crisis into a more dangerous phase. Nearly 40,000 people have fled the latest violence, most seeking shelter inside Sudan.
But the head of the UN refugee agency, Filippo Grandi, has warned that deeper RSF advances towards major cities such as El Obeid could trigger a new wave of refugees across borders.
“If El Obeid were to fall or be surrounded, I am certain we would see mass exodus,” Grandi told Reuters. Families fleeing Kordofan and Darfur continue to report killings, detentions, forced recruitment and sexual violence. Some mothers have disguised their sons as girls to prevent abduction by fighters. Humanitarian operations remain chronically underfunded.
A conflict spiralling towards catastrophe
More than 40,000 people have been killed and almost 12 million displaced since fighting began in April 2023, according to UN and WHO figures. Aid groups warn the real toll may be far higher.
Both sides have traded accusations over additional drone strikes, including one near the Chad Sudan border recently condemned by the RSF. The claim could not be independently verified. The army has yet to comment.
Despite repeated international appeals, the pattern of siege, bombardment, starvation and mass displacement remains unchanged. Rights officials warn that without urgent action, Kordofan could follow the same path as El Fasher, a city scarred by executions, sexual violence and the mass killing of civilians.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment