live WUF13 opening ceremony held in Baku as global forum advances sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the of...
Israel was given the green light to participate in the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest on Thursday, after the organising body decided not to hold a vote on its inclusion, despite threats of boycotts from some countries over the Gaza conflict.
Following the announcement, Dutch broadcaster Avrotros declared that it would withdraw from the contest, meaning the Netherlands will not compete in the competition, which attracts millions of viewers globally.
There was no immediate response from Spanish and other national broadcasters who had previously threatened to boycott the event if Israel was allowed to participate, citing the death toll in Gaza and accusing Israel of breaching the rules designed to maintain the contest’s neutrality.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) stated that its members had supported new regulations aimed at preventing governments and third parties from unduly promoting songs to influence voters, following claims that Israel had unfairly boosted its entry this year.
"The vote means that all EBU members who wish to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2026 and agree to comply with the new rules are eligible to take part," the EBU said.
The issue has caused significant division among participants in the competition, which has a history of being entangled in national rivalries, international conflicts, and political voting.
The Dutch broadcaster explained that it had determined that, given the current circumstances, participation could not be reconciled with the core public values of its organisation.
Germany, a key supporter of Eurovision, had stated it would withdraw if Israel was excluded. Israel, which finished second in the contest this year, has not addressed the accusations but maintains it is the target of a global smear campaign.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment