live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
British police have arrested three men in London on suspicion of assisting a foreign intelligence service, in a case linked to Russia under national security laws introduced in 2023.
Counter-terrorism officers detained the men, aged 48, 45 and 44, at addresses in west and central London, the Metropolitan Police said on Thursday. Several properties, including one other location, were being searched.
Dominic Murphy, Head of Counter-Terrorism Policing London, said the arrests formed part of broader efforts to disrupt recruitment by foreign intelligence agencies. “We’re seeing an increasing number of who we would describe as ‘proxies’ being recruited by foreign intelligence services, and these arrests are directly related to our ongoing efforts to disrupt this type of activity,” he said.
The investigation is being conducted under the National Security Act, which came into force in 2023 to expand the circumstances under which suspected spies can be prosecuted.
The arrests coincide with the sentencing of six men for an arson attack on Ukraine-linked businesses in east London last year, which prosecutors said was orchestrated by Russia’s Wagner mercenary group. The ringleader, Dylan Earl, became the first person convicted under the new legislation.
The Kremlin has denied involvement in any acts of sabotage in Britain, accusing London of routinely blaming Russia for “anything bad” that happens.
Last week, MI5 Director-General Ken McCallum said authorities had thwarted “a steady stream of surveillance plots with hostile intent – aimed at individuals Russian leaders perceive as their enemies.”
Police said the three men remain in custody and that investigations are continuing.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment