live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Athletic Club host Qarabağ FK on Wednesday at San Mamés, aiming to earn their first points in the new Champions League league phase as the Azerbaijani side look to extend their perfect start.
Athletic Club and Qarabağ FK will meet for the first time in UEFA competition on Wednesday in Bilbao, with contrasting form setting the tone for their Champions League league phase fixture.
The Spanish side sit 35th in the 36-team table with no points after defeats to Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund. Qarabağ, by contrast, have stunned Group A by winning both of their opening matches — 3-2 away to Benfica and 2-0 at home against Copenhagen — and are currently 10th.
The match kicks off at 16:45 UTC (18:45 CET) under the officiating of Croatian referee Igor Pajac.
Athletic are without suspended centre-back Yeray Álvarez, while Beñat Prados and Unai Egiluz remain sidelined with long-term injuries. Aymeric Laporte is doubtful with an ankle problem. Coach Ernesto Valverde is expected to deploy a 4-2-3-1 system, leaning on attacking threats from Iñaki and Nico Williams, Oihan Sancet and Gorka Guruzeta.
Qarabağ travel to Spain with a full squad and buoyed by six consecutive victories in all competitions. Head coach Gurban Gurbanov has led the side since 2008 and favours a possession-based approach. Wingers Leandro Andrade and Abdellah Zoubir, along with playmaker Kady Borges, form the attacking core, while Polish goalkeeper Mateusz Kochalski has kept three clean sheets so far in the campaign.
This is Athletic’s first Champions League campaign since 2014–15, while Qarabağ last reached the group stage in 2017–18. The top eight teams from this season’s league phase will qualify directly for the round of 16, with clubs finishing 9th to 24th entering playoff ties.
Wednesday’s match will be broadcast live on TNT Sports in the UK, Paramount+ in the U.S., and streamed online via discovery+.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment