Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it w...
Russia and Belarus are rehearsing the launch of Russian tactical nuclear weapons as part of joint war games, Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko said on Tuesday.
State media quoted the Belarusian chief of staff as saying that the exercises also featured Russia's Oreshnik hypersonic missile, which it test-fired last year in the war with Ukraine.
Russia and Belarus are wrapping up five days of war games, codenamed Zapad (West), in a show of force they say is designed to test their combat readiness, but which has unnerved some surrounding countries given the ongoing war.
Dressed in military attire, Russian President Vladimir Putin met with top military officials on Tuesday in Russia's Nizhny Novogorod region, where some of the drills took place.
Some 100,000 military personnel participated in the exercises, which involved roughly 10,000 pieces of military equipment, the Russian President said in comments broadcast on state television.
The drills were to ensure the "unconditional protection of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Union State," Putin said, referring to the alliance of Russia and Belarus.
The war games, which Western military analysts say are designed to intimidate Europe, come just days after Polish and NATO forces say they shot down Russian drones that entered Polish airspace. Warsaw has temporarily closed its border with Belarus as a precaution.
Belarus, a close Russian ally which borders Ukraine and Russia, as well as NATO members Poland, Lithuania and Latvia, hosts Russian tactical nuclear weapons which Moscow retains command and control of. Minsk has been working to reopen and renovate its Soviet-era nuclear storage facilities.
Lukashenko was cited by the Belarusian state news agency Belta as saying that it was only natural that the Russian tactical nuclear weapons were part of the Zapad drills.
"We are practising everything there. They (the West) know this too, we are not hiding it. From firing conventional small arms to nuclear warheads. Again, we must be able to do all this. Otherwise, why would they be on Belarusian territory?" he was quoted as saying.
"But we are absolutely not planning to threaten anyone with this," he added.
The Belarusian Defence Ministry confirmed in a statement that the use of tactical nuclear weapons had been rehearsed along with the deployment of Russia's intermediate-range Oreshnik ballistic missile that Moscow fired at Ukraine for the first time on 21 November last year.
Putin said late last year that Russia could deploy Oreshniks, which he has claimed are impossible to intercept, on the territory of Belarus in the second half of 2025.
Lukashenko, who holds regular talks with Putin, allowed Moscow to use his territory to enter Ukraine in February 2022, but has not committed his own troops to the fighting.
U.S. President Donald Trump has begun cultivating closer ties with Lukashenko, long treated as a pariah by the West, and relaxed some sanctions on Belarus last week in return for the release of 52 prisoners including political opponents of the veteran leader.
In a sign of the warming in relations, U.S. military officers observed part of the Zapad exercise in Belarus on Monday.
Russia's Defence Ministry said on Tuesday that nuclear-capable Russian Tu-160 strategic bombers had rehearsed launching cruise missiles over the Barents Sea north of the Nordic countries.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it would leave Kyiv without a meaningful voice in the bloc.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment