Russian missile strike on Kyiv kills 12, Poland activates air defences
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two do...
Russian Tu-160 bombers practised launching cruise missiles over the Barents Sea on Tuesday during joint military drills with Belarus, as part of the Zapad 2025 exercises.
Russia’s Defence Ministry said on Tuesday that its nuclear-capable Tu-160 strategic bombers carried out simulated cruise missile launches during a four-hour flight over neutral waters in the Barents Sea, escorted by MiG-31 fighter jets. The manoeuvres were part of the ongoing Zapad 2025 military exercises conducted jointly with Belarus.
The five-day drills, which Moscow says are intended to test combat readiness, have heightened regional concerns, coming days after NATO and Polish forces shot down Russian drones that violated Polish airspace. In response, Poland temporarily closed its border with Belarus.
Belarusian Defence Minister Viktor Khrenin was expected to observe another component of the exercises on Russian territory on Tuesday, which his ministry said would be held “in conditions as close as possible to combat”.
Belarus, a close Russian ally, has supported the war in Ukraine politically and logistically but has not deployed troops. President Alexander Lukashenko has permitted Russian forces to base tactical nuclear weapons on Belarusian soil.
U.S. President Donald Trump has recently moved to thaw relations with Belarus, easing sanctions last week following the release of 52 detainees, including political prisoners. In a rare move, U.S. military officers were invited to observe part of the Zapad exercise in Belarus on Monday.
The Barents Sea, located north of Scandinavia, is strategically significant due to its proximity to NATO-member Norway and Russia’s Northern Fleet bases. The Zapad drills, which are held every four years, traditionally focus on Russia’s western military district and border areas.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment