Azerbaijan’s support to Ukraine could set regional example, aid group director says
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of de...
Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal announced on Tuesday that he had submitted his resignation, paving the way for the country’s most significant government reshuffle since the start of the full-scale war with Russia.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal announced on Tuesday that he had submitted his resignation, paving the way for the country’s most significant government reshuffle since the start of the full-scale war with Russia.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Monday nominated First Deputy Prime Minister and Economy Minister Yulia Svyrydenko as Shmyhal’s replacement. A long-time ally of Zelenskyy, Svyrydenko is expected to take over leadership of the government following a parliamentary vote later this week.
Shmyhal, who has served as prime minister since March 2020, is expected to be appointed as Ukraine’s new defence minister, according to Zelenskyy.
In a statement on Telegram, the president said he had already met with Svyrydenko to outline key priorities for the next six months. "We are preparing the first steps for the renewed government," he said, sharing a photo from their meeting.
Zelenskyy said the new government's top goals would include ramping up domestic arms production and implementing economic reforms to unlock Ukraine’s long-term growth potential.
The reshuffle comes as Russian forces continue their slow advance in eastern Ukraine and hopes for a ceasefire remain distant. Despite massive international aid, Ukraine’s economy remains below pre-war levels, and the country faces growing financial pressures.
With international assistance expected to decline, Ukrainian officials estimate that the country will require around $40 billion in external funding in 2026 to cover its budget deficit.
Parliament is scheduled to vote on the new government appointments on Thursday.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment