live Trump says attack on Iran was paused, signals possible nuclear deal- Middle East conflict
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said th...
The OSCE has formally wound up the Minsk Process, shutting down its mediation structures after a joint appeal from Armenia and Azerbaijan and a consensus decision by all 57 participating states.
The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) has finalised the closure of the Minsk Process and all its related structures, drawing a line under its long-running mediation format between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The mandate expired at 23:59 on 30 November 2025, in line with Ministerial Council decision MC.DEC/1/25 adopted on 1 September 2025.
According to the organisation, the completion of all required administrative steps marks the formal conclusion of the closure process. The decision implements the 1 September consensus by all 57 OSCE participating states, which backed shutting down the format following a joint political move by Yerevan and Baku.
The Ministerial Council decision came in the wake of a historic Joint Declaration signed in Washington D.C. on 8 August 2025 by Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, with U.S. President Donald J. Trump acting as witness. That document signalled the two neighbours’ intention to move beyond decades of OSCE-led mediation towards a new phase of bilateral and internationally supported normalisation.
In their Joint Appeal to the Finnish Chairpersonship of the OSCE earlier this year, Armenia and Azerbaijan requested that the Minsk Process and its affiliated structures be closed, arguing that the format no longer reflected the realities on the ground or the direction of their talks. The appeal paved the way for the September Ministerial Council decision and the subsequent technical work needed to dismantle the institutional framework.
With the procedural steps now completed, the Minsk Process – once a central platform for managing the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan – has been formally taken off the OSCE’s books. Diplomatic attention is expected to remain focused on direct Armenia-Azerbaijan channels and on broader regional arrangements shaped by recent agreements and high-level contacts.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United Nations and Türkiye, while flotilla organisers said several ships continued sailing toward Gaza despite the operation.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Uzbekistan has reported new fraud cases linked to employment in South Korea as investigators continue examining a wider migration corruption scheme estimated to have caused up to $90 million in losses.
When 36 nations signed up to prosecute Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, Georgia - a country partly occupied by Russia - declined to join. Tbilisi blamed strained relations with the EU. Critics blamed the government itself.
Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are negotiating summer water allocations as rising temperatures, agricultural demand and pressure on shared rivers intensify water security concerns across Central Asia.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment