Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
Tens of thousands of people accused of links to Islamic State remain detained in camps across northeast Syria, as control shifts from Kurdish forces to the Syrian army, raising fresh legal, humanitarian and security concerns.
Armed guards patrol the camp’s gates, preventing residents from leaving. The population is made up mostly of women and children, many of whom say they are being punished without trial and denied the chance to challenge the accusations against them.
“They insist on calling us terrorists, but we are not terrorists,” said Fatma Ali, a resident of Al-Hol. She said children in the camp are growing up stigmatised and traumatised, adding that families should be allowed to leave so children can study, integrate and live normal lives.
Although women and children form the majority of Al-Hol’s population, men are also held at the site. The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have previously said the camp is part of a wider detention system for thousands of suspected Islamic State members. Detainees say many were never given an opportunity to contest the claims against them.
Mohammad Issam, another resident, said he survives by selling food to buy milk for his child. He said authorities demanded proof of identity to leave the camp, something he says is impossible to obtain due to the lack of internet access or phones. He said he was told his name was already on a list linking him to armed groups.
Control of the camps shifted this week after intense clashes in the area, when the Syrian army advanced and forced the SDF out, adding to uncertainty over who now holds responsibility for detainees.
Analysts warn that beyond immediate security risks, the long-term legal and humanitarian future of those held remains unclear.
Political analyst Mostafa Al Naimi said rehabilitation programmes could be developed, but only through agreements between the Syrian government and detainees’ countries of origin. He said many cases involve dual nationals and there is no unified approach to prosecution or reintegration.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking to boost fuel imports from China as it looks to diversify supplies and reduce the risks of its heavy reliance on Russia.
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full investigation.
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure on supply chains and the wider economy.
Azerbaijan has summoned Russia’s ambassador in Baku over recent Russian media comments it described as insulting, provocative and threatening towards the country, its people and leadership.
Israel and the United States have agreed to establish two working groups on Gaza’s future as Washington pushes to turn a fragile ceasefire into a broader political and security arrangement.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment