live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov have had a telephone conversation following the recent resolution passed by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
The monitoring agency had demanded in a resolution that Tehran’s must inform it “without delay” of the status of its enriched uranium stock and access to “enable the agency do its job”.
The conversation which held via telephone also touched on “bilateral ties, and regional and international developments”.
Tehran said on Friday it had withdrawn from a deal IAEA reached last September in Cairo, Egypt after the agency’s Board of Governors passed a resolution on Thursday.
In a statement released by Russia’s Foreign Ministry, it said, “The conversation focused on regional security,” without giving specific details about what was discussed.
Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi referred to Tehran’s diplomatic initiatives and consultations with regional countries aimed at strengthening regional peace and stability, and “stressed the importance of continuing this process with the participation of all relevant parties.”
“Lavrov considered the formation of a regional consultation and cooperation framework as an appropriate method for resolving issues between regional countries and announced Moscow's readiness to continue close coordination with Tehran in this regard,” read Iran’s press release.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran withdrew from the Cairo agreement on Friday.
“Iran considers the resolution approved by the Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency, which was adopted under pressure of the United States, Germany, France and the United Kingdom as illegal and unjustified,” read the statement issued on Friday.
Iran suspended its ties with the IAEA and ceased the nuclear negotiations with the United States mediated by Oman in the wake of airstrikes by Israel and US on its major civilian nuclear sites in June.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry confirmed earlier that IAEA officials inspected some Iranian sites including Tehran Research Reactor last week after receiving the clearance from the Supreme National Security Council which is required by a legislation passed by Parliament.
Iran had laid down the condition that it will consider the new cooperation agreement null and void if UN nuclear sanctions were reimposed, but it did not act after the sanctions were reinstalled in September.
China and Russia who are permanent members of the UN Security Council wielding the veto power, voted against return of UN nuclear sanctions on Iran.
They had tabled a joint draft resolution at the Security Council to postpone return of the sanctions.
Last week, ahead of the IAEA board meeting in Vienna, Austria, Araghchi and Lavrov discussed the planned meet over a telephone call.
They reviewed the situation within the IAEA Board of Governors “where France, the UK and Germany have been seeking to launch an anti-Iranian campaign”, Russia’s Foreign Ministry said.
“They reaffirmed their shared commitment to fully carrying out the Treaty on Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between Russia and Iran,” it added.
Iran and Russia signed the strategic treaty in January 2025 which came into effect on October 2 and is valid for 20 years.
In 2021, Iran and China signed a 25-year cooperation agreement to further develop their existing relations but unlike the Russian treaty, its provisions are not publicised.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Georgia’s newly elected Catholicos-Patriarch Shio III is set to visit Istanbul, with the upcoming trip discussed during a meeting with Metropolitan Emmanuel of Chalcedon, a representative of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I.
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing influence far beyond its size, analyst Ahmad Alili says.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking to boost fuel imports from China as it looks to diversify supplies and reduce the risks of its heavy reliance on Russia.
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full investigation.
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure on supply chains and the wider economy.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment